Bonnaroo - June 13-16, 2013

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Bonnaroo - June 13-16, 2013

Post by TMBJon »

Alinite27 wrote:Out of the acts on the schedule for the 15th
I haven't looked at the schedule but there's no reason to limit potential collaborations to only the acts playing the same day as Al, right?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Well, yes there is. Al is playing Sylvania, OH on the 14th, and Bonnaroo is his last show of this leg. Nothing really happens before noon... unless Al has some Secret Contractual Obligation, do we really think he's going to hang around Manchester, TN for half a day or more on Sunday for the sake of a collabo or so, rather than making his best speed back to Nashville International Airport? I think he'd rather see Suzanne and Nina than David Byrne and St Vincent (though that would be decidedly interesting)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Okay, I've looked at the schedule, and I'd say Comedy Bang Bang and/or Portugal The Man (since he played with them before when the lineup was announced.)
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Oh cool. Didn't realize he had played with Portugal before. I already had them down as one of the acts I wanted to see, so that's a plus.

I think there is the possibility Jon that a collabo could be on Sunday. But, as Helen pointed out, I don't really see anything that promising from that day and Al usually books it out of whatever the last tour town is to get home faster than a speeding bullet or a rapper heading out of The Cotillion in Wichita, KS.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:Well, yes there is. Al is playing Sylvania, OH on the 14th, and Bonnaroo is his last show of this leg. Nothing really happens before noon... unless Al has some Secret Contractual Obligation, do we really think he's going to hang around Manchester, TN for half a day or more on Sunday for the sake of a collabo or so, rather than making his best speed back to Nashville International Airport? I think he'd rather see Suzanne and Nina than David Byrne and St Vincent (though that would be decidedly interesting)
I was thinking this collabojam would happen during Al's set, but now that you mention it, it is probably more likely that he'd be brought out as the guest at another act's show. However, as to your second point, I do think Al would stick around Bonnaroo if he was asked to be someone's guest on stage Sunday afternoon, not that any of Sunday's lineup seems particularly likely.

Jeremy, as to your point that he usually splits town right away, I have to think it could be a little different being that this is Bonnaroo, arguably the hottest ticket of the summer, and he would have an all access pass.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Jon, you do have a great point there. Bonnaroo, where he can hang around other musicians, especially if there was an act he was fond of, is a lot more tempting than a run of the mill city.

So, Bang Bang and Portugal, I'll make sure to go to those just in case. I'm going to try one more time as the show gets really close, hopefully the day before if he meets in Sylvania, to get some information from him on the collabos. Is it usual for artists to swear for secrecy on this kind of stuff?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

And Bonnaroo has got to be one of the best places to get a feel for what parodiable-in-future acts might be on their way up.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:And Bonnaroo has got to be one of the best places to get a feel for what parodiable-in-future acts might be on their way up.
or style-parodieable, more accurately
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Last night, I asked Al if there were any acts at Bonnaroo that I should keep an eye out for and make sure to catch on the Saturday, that I might not know about. He said he was sure that there probably was. Told me separate of the collabos that he wouldn't really have time for that kind of stuff because he would be so busy with interviews.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Spoiler:
Al did a duet with Jesse Ventura! :drool:

Hope there is video somewhere! Jeremy will fill in the details.

Dave