7/31/13 Cleveland, OH Cain Park

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: 7/31/13 Cleveland, OH Cain Park

Post by TMBJon »

Thanks for doing this research, Jon. Very interesting.
Congratulations on this important milestone of 1,357 shows!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

bermuda wrote:So, with the speculation/calculation of the July 31 concert in Cleveland being the 1300th show (give or take a show) I figured I'd investigate how correct that was.

Well, first I had to define what a show is. For the purposes of my analysis, a show is a concert or performance, which includes statements made by Al similar to "Hello [city]" and "Thank you, goodnight." So, cameo or similar such special appearances by Al & the band don't qualify. Tickets/seating must have been available to the public, so private* and industry events are not included. Shows on a national/international scale commenced with the first album, so only the dates starting May 19, 1983 and after are included. When 2 or more shows occurred on one date, I count that number of shows, since separate tickets/seating were available, the audiences were different, and the shows were occasionally slightly different.

Given these parameters, and despite the fact that I have listed shows outside of the parameters on the web site since 1995, I still have some interesting totals.

From May 19, 1983 thru July 31, 2013 (the alleged 1300th "show",) the numbers I have are:

1251 venues, on 1250 dates, for a total of 1357 shows.

Bermuda

As for the alleged 1000th show on Sept 8, 2007 in Idaho Falls, my calculations make it: 954 venues, on 953 dates, for a total of 1058 shows.

* Yes, there was a private show that pretty much nobody knows about!

Wow that is an awesome piece of research!! Thank you... and I think you are way overdue the celebratory doughnuts! :D..

And.. Oh dear looks like my concert database is hopelessly inaccurate now :( *mind-blown* Is it possible to have a revised list sometime, please?
Last edited by ludovica64 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
smbbyz73
Occasional

Post by smbbyz73 »

This was an absolutely awesome show and I really LOVE Cain Park! I've lived here in the Cleveland area all my life and have never been there before. The seats were roomy, leg room was great, the surrounding nature was incredibly beautiful and then Al, Bermuda, Steve, Jim, and Ruben came out and they completed the perfect evening. Even my brother, who is not really an Al fan, was amazed by the show and said he really, really enjoyed it!
Being able to see Al at his appearance at "Melt" earlier in the day and giving him chocolates from one of Clevelands' premier candy factories, Malleys, and then getting a hug from Al made this the highlight of my summer break!!!!
Tomorrow, reality.......I'm back at my school unloading supplies and getting my classroom ready!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I found a video online of the technical difficulties. Did they really have to cut YMM from the set because the server was still crashing? In Bethlehem, they had the same problem with the backing tracks for that song, but they did Radio Radio instead.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
OopsieDaisy
Occasional

Post by OopsieDaisy »

Muppetboy09 wrote:I found a video online of the technical difficulties. Did they really have to cut YMM from the set because the server was still crashing? In Bethlehem, they had the same problem with the backing tracks for that song, but they did Radio Radio instead.
Yep. They stopped TMZ and did "Radio, Radio", then did a drum solo. Tried to start YMM a couple of times, Steve did a Bass solo, they tried to start again, then Ruben did a keyboard solo, then they just gave up. Al said "talk amongst yourselves" and after a few seconds came back and started the next song.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I wonder what the setlist was for that private show? That would be interesting to see.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Thanks to Bermuda's research, we should now be able to know when Al's 1400th show is. I think we should make sure that at least 1400 people show up for it. :D