Artisits/Band you would like to have as Al's opening act

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Ratbert197
Obsessed

Artisits/Band you would like to have as Al's opening act

Post by Ratbert197 »

what band/artists do you think would be a good openong act for an Al concert.? I think any band with any sort of humurous side will be good. Such as They Might Be Giants, and Those Darn Accordions!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I think They Might Be Giants is a perfect choice -- you can never have too much accordion.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I think They Might Be Giants is a perfect choice -- you can never have too much accordion.

True. Very true
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

I'm thinking either Kenny G or Megadeth. Or maybe Missing Persons, the first group weird al opened for. This time they could be pelted with things from the audience. Of course weird al fans are above that, plus that group really lives up to their name- if they could get its members together they are probably all living in a homeless shelter and probably would relish the chance to be pelted by al fans. :bomb:

:sleepy: thinking

:biggrin: I've got it! Coolio!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Those Darn Accordions would be awesome! They are one of my favorites, ad I know that Al likes them, so it could be possible, though I dont think Al wouldbe able to have an openng act to travel with him, unless they were part of the crew, as on TWS.

Mike

WAIT! In the Spazchow group on Yahoo, Robert Haimer hinted at new Barnes and Barnes projects (wll not hinted, he said maybe) so what about having them tour with Al? They are buddies. Oh what a show that would be!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

An opening act for Al? How about ME!!! I sing a little. Hey, a girl can dream, huh? Actually in my dream, I am his backup singer. I would love to sing Don't Wear Those Shoes with him. Or any Polka Medley... but I digress.

Or maybe Missing Persons, the first group weird al opened for. This time they could be pelted with things from the audience.

I hope you are right that Al's fans are better than that. But if not, what would they throw? Spatulas? Twinkie Weiner Sandwiches? Cans of Spam? Oreos? Vans? No, you are right. Those things are much to valuable.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yeah! The WOWAYers! Scotti could sing and I could drum*!! :D

*Yes, Bermuda is a member here...but we could have some variety!
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yeah! The WOWAYers! Scotti could sing and I could drum*!! :D

*Yes, Bermuda is a member here...but we could have some variety!

If we're talking about a fantasy opening act, we wouldn't want Bermuda drumming for the WOWAYers anyway-- for his own sake. He works plenty hard as it is drumming for the headline act.

For a real "Dare To Be Stupid" idea, how about demented little groups of fans singing a capella arrangements of Al tunes while waiting in line to get into the venues? "Frank's 2000" TV" would be a fun one to do. That epinions review of TWS that I referred to a while back mentioned that there were some fans who broke into a rendition of the "Plumbing Song" when the concert was delayed by rain and they were sloshing around in standing water.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I'm thinking either Kenny G or Megadeth. Or maybe Missing Persons, the first group weird al opened for. This time they could be pelted with things from the audience. Of course weird al fans are above that, plus that group really lives up to their name- if they could get its members together they are probably all living in a homeless shelter and probably would relish the chance to be pelted by al fans. :bomb:

:sleepy: thinking

:biggrin: I've got it! Coolio!

Missing Persons wasnt resposible for their fnas acting up. THEY chose Al to be up there becuase they liked him and thought he would be a good opening act. The band isnt responsible nor nesesscarily approve of the fans behavior.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: Artisits/Band you would like to have as Al's opening act

Post by Elvis »

what band/artists do you think would be a good openong act for an Al concert.? I think any band with any sort of humurous side will be good. Such as They Might Be Giants, and Those Darn Accordions!

Missing Romeo!! (okay, let's see who on this forum gets that reference...)

Seriously though, anyone but Mr. Bullhorn and that guy who opened in Poughkeepsie. But I'd rather not see Al tour with an opener. I'd rather see a different opening act with each show, as provided by the local promoter.

The reason is because the opening acts for TWS, while sometimes lame, are occasionally pretty entertaing and it's nice to see a local comedian or entertainer get a break. Remember, even Al started as an opening act. Plus, for someone like me who goes to a lot of shows, it's nice to see some variation.

Saying that though, I think comedians work better than bands. I noticed magicians and improv groups worked well too. Music bands generally don't work because any band playing serious music doesn't go over well because people are there to laugh. Comedy bands don't work because they are (unfairly?) compared to Al, and no one can compare to Al. They're doomed even before they start. Comedians work, as long as they are kid-friendly, because they make people laugh (the reason people are there) and they don't infringe on Al's territory, so they aren't compared to Al.

Of the two bands listed, I don't mind TDA!, but please no TMBG.... I just don't understand them or see why people like them at all...

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!