Al's Voice

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Kristine
Off The Deep End

Re: Al's Voice

Post by Kristine »

weirdojace wrote:Unfortunately, it happens to many singers as they grow older, like Justin Bieber.
Awwww.... it's funny 'cause it's true.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:I suspect that it's not so much strictly age-related, but more fatigue and weather/possible minor upper-respiratory-illness related. He's had a pretty heavy touring schedule.
On a tangentially related note, when I saw Al in Denver last summer I kept thinking to myself "Is it just me or does his voice just sound higher in person?" and I thought this might have had something to do with the altitude here in Colorado.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

During the Scissors tour, especially during 2000, Al had some problems with voice strain; he also was ill during a number of the performances that year. That was a LUNATIC touring schedule, playing nearly 3-5 dates in a row with a couple of days off almost every week with just a few longer breaks, which gave Al time to do a few important things like propose to Suzanne. :inlove: He occasionally left Pretty Fly for a Rabbi out of the medley then as it pushed him up to a c an octave above middle C. That's Placido Domingo territory up there.

A lot of singers lower keys of songs for tours, not just Al. Personally, I think that's very wise. A voice can be a pretty fragile instrument.

Cheers, Diva
remembering her days as a voice student
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

Aww i didnt know he propsed on break from touring. Was there some kind of announcement from him after or was it just something he just said somewhere. I was a fan at this time but it was really early in my fandom and i was not nearly as Al news savy as i am now
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
sternoinferno
Occasional

Post by sternoinferno »

Has anyone noticed that his voice (or not just voice, but maybe expression/style of singing) seemed to have gone through a transition around the time that he changed his looks (hair, mustache, glasses)? When I listen to his albums, I feel like I hear some sort of "change" between Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors, like maybe BHD is that transition period- listen to songs on Alapalooza and before, and RWS and after, and you can definitely hear a change. I like it, I think it sounds more mature and an improvement in his voice (not that there was anything wrong beforehand)- this is just an observation I had. Anyone agree in some form?
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Yeah, I know what your talking about, his voice changed (for the better.)

On dropping the key of a song.... Metallica plays everything in a lower key now. Its not just age that factors into it, but the song itself sounds better live in a lower key.
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Not neceassarily, with Metallica. James sounds horrible live with his low voice, always goin' "yeeeAAHHH" and stuff on classics like For Whom The Bell Tolls, Hit The Lights or Sanitarium, I find it ruins the vocals on the album recording. Just a bit unneccessary at times but I understand why they gotta do that, or that he does it 'cause he's bored of singing the same way he did in the 80's. But thats what people want to hear!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

sternoinferno wrote:Has anyone noticed that his voice (or not just voice, but maybe expression/style of singing) seemed to have gone through a transition around the time that he changed his looks (hair, mustache, glasses)? When I listen to his albums, I feel like I hear some sort of "change" between Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors, like maybe BHD is that transition period- listen to songs on Alapalooza and before, and RWS and after, and you can definitely hear a change. I like it, I think it sounds more mature and an improvement in his voice (not that there was anything wrong beforehand)- this is just an observation I had. Anyone agree in some form?
Al did mention getting singing lessons from Lisa Popeil. And yes, there is a definate point at which his voice got more mature. He got rid of the nasally young voice.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

scottidog wrote:
sternoinferno wrote:Has anyone noticed that his voice (or not just voice, but maybe expression/style of singing) seemed to have gone through a transition around the time that he changed his looks (hair, mustache, glasses)? When I listen to his albums, I feel like I hear some sort of "change" between Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors, like maybe BHD is that transition period- listen to songs on Alapalooza and before, and RWS and after, and you can definitely hear a change. I like it, I think it sounds more mature and an improvement in his voice (not that there was anything wrong beforehand)- this is just an observation I had. Anyone agree in some form?
Al did mention getting singing lessons from Lisa Popeil.
I thought that was in the early/mid 80s when he started touring lots, and found his voice wasn't trained for such constant singing.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

scottidog wrote:Al did mention getting singing lessons from Lisa Popeil. And yes, there is a definate point at which his voice got more mature. He got rid of the nasally young voice.
Grom's right, the singing lessons from Lisa Popeil came earlier. To me it seemed as though he just gave himself permission to not always sing with the "comic" nasal voice. Not his voice maturing, but his self-image maybe.