NOW That's What I Call Polka!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: NOW That's What I Call Polka!

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote:While I had never heard of any of the songs this album parodied before I saw the song listing (and hadn't heard any of them until this morning when I seeked them out), I actually had heard one of the songs in the medley, "Call Me Maybe". And ironically, I wasn't aware of that song until I saw the Cookie Monster viral parody "Share It Maybe".
Wow!!!!! Well... ... what do you think of Mandatory Fun? :huh:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

It's almost a perfect polka, but everyone can probably guess that I'm going to complain about the lack of Katy Perry. "Wrecking Ball" and "Get Lucky" went on too long and easily couldn't been shortened to make room for a couple of songs such as "Roar" damn it!
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I'm starting to wonder if Al didn't get permission for maybe one or two songs he originally wanted for this medley? Maybe "Wrecking Ball" and "Get Lucky" were lengthened to make up for this? Maybe "Timber" was a second choice used to replace a certain song? That one does seem the most like a "last minute addition" more than the rest of the songs in the polka.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Is it also possible that he negotiated better rates with Miley Cyrus and DP (via Pharrel) to use longer segments of their songs in the medley? I know he's discussed how the payment works for the polkas, in percentages, and maybe their management agreed to some sort of reduced rate for a larger segment? I don't know...most likely, he just liked the way those parts sounded!
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

Help....

Help....

Can't....

Stop....

:wacko: LISTENING!!!! :wacko:
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Has Al ever talked about how he decides which songs to include in the Polka? Does he just follow the Top 40 charts and decide from there?
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
yankochick27
Occasional

Post by yankochick27 »

MandatoryFun wrote:Has Al ever talked about how he decides which songs to include in the Polka? Does he just follow the Top 40 charts and decide from there?
In his reddit AMAA he said-

[–]alyankovic 460 points 2 days ago
A lot of times if I really want to do a parody of a song, but I can't come up with an idea that I think is clever enough, I will put that song in the polka medley. Also, I'll choose a song for the medley if I think it will sound particularly funny as a polka, or if there is an opportunity in the lyrics for me to add sound effects or some other kind of gag. Once I have a dozen or so songs approved, I'll just play those songs on the accordion and find a comfortable key for me to sing them in, and then see which order seems to flow the best. Then I'll do a demo and arrange all the horn charts, and then the band and I will go into the studio and polka down with our bad selves!
Her Majesty Queen Newbie Zone
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

yankochick27 wrote:
MandatoryFun wrote:Has Al ever talked about how he decides which songs to include in the Polka? Does he just follow the Top 40 charts and decide from there?
In his reddit AMAA he said-

[–]alyankovic 460 points 2 days ago
A lot of times if I really want to do a parody of a song, but I can't come up with an idea that I think is clever enough, I will put that song in the polka medley. Also, I'll choose a song for the medley if I think it will sound particularly funny as a polka, or if there is an opportunity in the lyrics for me to add sound effects or some other kind of gag. Once I have a dozen or so songs approved, I'll just play those songs on the accordion and find a comfortable key for me to sing them in, and then see which order seems to flow the best. Then I'll do a demo and arrange all the horn charts, and then the band and I will go into the studio and polka down with our bad selves!

ohhhhh. hmmmm.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Looks like we have our standard all-the-original-music-videos-with-increased-tempo video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc30kFWzI4Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I'm here, I know it's not the new polka, but I recently finished a fan video of Polka Face that I worked very hard on, and I'd appreciate it if anyone checked it out :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf6amJcXddA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Awesome! I was waiting for someone to do that. Love the ALTV logo. Nice touch.