Mandatory Fun - What do you think of the title?

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think of the title "Mandatory Fun"?

10 - I love it!
33%
20%
23%
7%
3%
5 - It's alright. I don't love or hate it.
10%
1%
1%
No votes
1 - I hate it!
No votes

Total votes: 69

Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Re: Mandatory Fun - What do you think of the title?

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Grom wrote:A ridiculous amount of medals or something wouldn't have gone astray, similar to the buckles on the Even Worse cover.
That's not bad of an idea, really.

But aside from a subtle thing like that, there shouldn't be a joke on the cover because the cover is the joke. The juxtaposition of a totalitarian dictator, a hardcore gangster and a horseman of the apocalypse being, of all people, Weird Al is funny. Any additions to that would, at best, weaken the joke and at worst, make it look like it's trying too hard. The Polka Party cover is probably a good example of that.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Alpocalypse had Al riding in a Hawaiian shirt and smiling on an otherwise grim and serious setting. That made it funny. I don't think there's anything funny in this album cover at all. We know it's a parody album because we know who made it.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

There wasn't anything "funny" about SOL either. Also "Mandatory Fun" is so deliciously ironic that I loved it the first time I saw it; I'm glad that turned out to be the title. It's probably the best title for this particular theme, and luckily it didn't turn out to be an Al-pun, which for whatever reason, every casual fan thought he was going to do. It was probably because of Alpocalypse.

On second thought, SOL did have the band in drag, which was probably the most obvious "joke" in the imagery; I wouldn't think it impossible for MF to do similarly.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

OneWAY wrote:
On second thought, SOL did have the band in drag, which was probably the most obvious "joke" in the imagery; I wouldn't think it impossible for MF to do similarly.
Yeah, most likely there will be some really funny pictures in the liner notes as there has been for some previous albums, most notably Running with Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood.

I suppose we could speculate as to how the band will be represented in their group picture this time... Any thoughts?
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Thanks peeps! I now love the title. But, personally, I'd love it more if it had been as in the teaser, "Prepare For Mandatory Fun". Would sound veeeeery punk-ish and Zapp-ish.
zombieclown

Post by zombieclown »

It should just be called "Mandatory Purchase".
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

tomatochives wrote:I think the title is starting to grow on me. But it would work a lot better if the cover had some more wackiness to it. For example, the soldiers could be holding water guns instead of rifles... Or the tank could have a teddy bear driving it... Or the badges on Al's uniform could resemble pieces of candy... Or instead of planes, there could be pigs flying...
ET CETERA
Reading this post was like nails on a chalkboard for me, so I had to share a few thoughts.
I realize completely that explaining a joke guarantees it won't be funny anymore, so I don't know why I'm doing this but here goes:

Weird Al has a bad reputation in modern pop culture. He always has been seen as a novelty act; we know this, and it is grating on the soul of every Weird Al fan to hear people say it.
Having some kind of extra humor on top of this cover art would be playing exactly into that trap. Non-hardcore fans would roll their eyes and think "there goes that nutty, zany, and trivial Weird Al again". However, in the last ten years or so the tide has somewhat shifted, and I believe Al realizes this. That is why the last few album covers have been remarkably different than the previous ones. The trend now seems toward ironic juxtaposition rather than overtly silly/goofy imagery. Both of those types of humor have been in Al's wheelhouse his entire career. I've always preferred the former to the latter.

The cover art of Dare To Be Stupid is the type of cover art that people have come to expect. Now we are getting more subtle cover art, like SOL and MF. In my opinion, the Mandatory Fun cover art is most similar to the SOL cover art. The ironic juxtaposition of "Weird Al" Yankovic posing similarly to a gangsta rapper of the mid-00's is intrinsically funny. It does not need to be enhanced by a tutu or flying pigs. The difference, I think, is that Al is more self-aware at this stage of his career than he was in the 80's. He knows what the public image is, and the last few albums play off of this. The zany, silly, goofy Weird Al... as a gangsta rapper. The kooky, nutty Weird Al... as a fascist dictator. Leading an army to enforce mandatory fun amongst his people. That itself is funny.

Additionally, I think Al is poking fun not only at himself but also at self-serious musicians, something that has always been an integral part of his work. For example, imagine an artist like John Mayer or Jack White posing for an album cover like Mandatory Fun. Or any of the actual rappers who have done album covers very similar to Straight Outta Lynwood's. Like it or not, the idea of a white, middle-aged nerdy man most known for playing accordion-based song parodies is intrinsically funny in those contexts, justified or not. Al is playing with his own self-image, in addition to the pop culture that he's mocking. This type of ironic juxtaposition humor has always been crucial to what Al does - serious song lyrics set to polka music, a song about Craigslist set to The Doors. This album cover is more in the vein of that style of humor than, say, the You're Pitiful costume.

tomatochives wrote:That's just my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :F
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

<<This topic is locked.>> :clap:
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

Reading this post was like nails on a chalkboard for me
Geez, I didn't mean to offend.

I get what you're saying. We're living in an age where it's cooler to be ironic (i.e. a hipster) than to stand out. But what's wrong with being genuinely silly? Especially when Lady Gaga, who is arguably way more famous than Al, is not regarded as a "novelty act" by the mainstream? (Maybe not now, but give it a decade and see) She herself called Al's parody of her song "empowering." And this is coming from a woman who literally rubs vomit on herself during live performances.
http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_ys2ehuc7/

I think if this generation can accept THAT, then a few little details on the album cover are not an issue. And if the haters wanna hate, whatever. I can roll my eyes at their musical preferences too.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

tomatochives wrote:Geez, I didn't mean to offend [...] But what's wrong with being genuinely silly?
I hope you know I wasn't picking on you. Your post was just the most explicitly stated among a vocal contingent on the forum that I happen to disagree with. Of course there's nothing wrong with being silly, and I am glad the world has Weird Als in it to continually remind us to dare to be stupid, even when life gets shitty. Having said that, I don't think Al always needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Given that Al is an exceptionally intelligent person, I appreciate that he sometimes goes for a more thoughtful joke instead of the in-your-face style he was known for in the 80s. (It's my opinion that his tendency toward this type of humor is directly responsible for his recent mainstream acceptance which has made him become less of a punchline as people see the craft that goes into what he does, as Patton Oswalt's tweets recently highlighted.)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.