Jackson Park Express

Moderator: Moderators

AccordionChick
Occasional

Re: Jackson Park Express

Post by AccordionChick »

Skippy wrote:
AccordionChick wrote:I've been wondering is Jackson Park Express more based upon the work of Cat Stevens or the now, Yusuf Islam?
Like minnick27 said, Al seems to know the difference and he called it a Cat Stevens style parody, so I've been looking there. That said, there isn't a whole lot of difference, sound-wise.
I've listened to the biggest hits of course but I've been wondering what songs influenced this piece in particular.
So far, I've found that the beginning of "But I Might Die Tonight" sounds like the beginning of JPX. There isn't a whole lot of musical variety in Stevens' songs, so it kind of just sounds like everything. My quest right now is to find a song with the "Uh! Mama!" lyric or something similar. That seems like such an odd choice in JPX that I'm convinced it's based on something in particular from Stevens.
It's true that there isn't much different sound-wise. It feels like his catalog is one big song that slowly changes themes. (No offense whatsoever because I like it)

I've noticed besides "But I Might Die Tonight", "The Wind" & "Moonshadow" sound a lot like the beginning too :p "Hard Headed Woman" definitely has the strings parts. the "Uh! Mama!" part is definitely harder to find. It's my favorite part of the song too... :think:
Concerts Attended: 1
September 19th, 2011 - Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO

Some people say I'm the one who got Al to be in an Epic Rap Battles of History.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

This is the closest I can find to the "Uh Mama" bit in a CS song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixbb9hvv0LA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

mrmeadows wrote:This is the closest I can find to the "Uh Mama" bit in a CS song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixbb9hvv0LA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew that was going to be "Pop Star." That's all I've found so far too. Maybe that's it, and Al just messed with the delivery.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. A good contender for my favorite original on the album. Beautiful music, hilarious lyrics, a combo "creepy love song" and epic length, and like the best epics, it doesn't feel like it's 9 minutes long.

I just wanted to say that.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

So I didn't get this until just an hour or so ago...but Al's answer to *everything* sure wouldn't help him pass his drivers test.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

And he doesn't even know the girl's name. What's he going to be writing down as answers, then? "Girl from bus"?
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Marc
Occasional

Post by Marc »

This song is to me what Al had in mind when he did Albuquerque: he wanted that song to go on endlessly, bugging the listener. But it turned out to be a fan favorite (so I must be a fan too!). Now everytime I hear JPE (I have my songs shuffled so I don't know when it's coming), I think -- 'Oh no, not that 9 minutes long song!' ;)
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

The Jackson Park Express radio edit, only featuring the lines in the song that actually happen.
And Peggy
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I love this song. Al is great at his twisted love stories. Top notch!
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I like this song so much more than when the album first came out. But am I a horrible person for not having the thing completely memorized?? :) :S
Is my dude a dweeb?