Sports Song

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: Sports Song

Post by Teh Dingo »

Another thing about this song.

Why is "I don't get sports" a major stick up people's butts around here?

I don't watch slasher films. I only saw Jurassic Park once before the Rifftrax. I've never even seen Star Wars episode one, and I'm not a Star Wars fan to begin with. Yet I'm perfectly fine with Nature Trail to Hell, Jurassic Park, The Saga Begins and Yoda.

There were numerous posts before Mandatory Fun speculating Al would do a Game of Thrones song. I don't watch Game of Thrones, but I know enough of what it is that I could get it (I love Paul and Storm's "Write Like the Wind" and of course, now we have an Al GoT song. Our long national nightmare is over :P ). It's not like Al's making any major sports references that would go over anyone's heads here

It sticks out like a sore thumb on the album and I get it. And I get that people are mad it might end up "surviving" over Mission Statement. I just find the way that some people have rationalized their feelings on this song strange.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Only speaking for myself here, but the fact that it's about sports has nothing to do with why I think this is the 11th best song on the album. It's just the fact that it's a "ditty" and not really a "song." There are so few actual sports references in the song; it's more about the concept of sports, or even competition generally.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TMBJon wrote:Only speaking for myself here, but the fact that it's about sports has nothing to do with why I think this is the 11th best song on the album. It's just the fact that it's a "ditty" and not really a "song." There are so few actual sports references in the song; it's more about the concept of sports, or even competition generally.
I'm not sure I get how being a "ditty" as opposed to a "song" affects the quality.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

TMBJon wrote:Only speaking for myself here, but the fact that it's about sports has nothing to do with why I think this is the 11th best song on the album. It's just the fact that it's a "ditty" and not really a "song." There are so few actual sports references in the song; it's more about the concept of sports, or even competition generally.
Do you not see that as part of the joke?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yeah of course that's part of the joke. I'm just saying that's what makes it less appealing than the ten other fully fleshed out songs on the album.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I don't hate this song; it's just not one of my favorites. I actually really like sports, so the fact that I don't love this song has nothing to do with it's subject matter.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Skippy wrote:I'm not sure I get how being a "ditty" as opposed to a "song" affects the quality.
Ditty is not something you listen when you want to enjoy music. So unlike most of other MF songs, SS is unlikely to end up in an everyday playlist among „normal“ songs.
That being said it serves its purpose, I get it, there's nothing wrong with it.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

mellow weasel wrote: Ditty is not something you listen when you want to enjoy music.
Why not? A ditty is just a type of song (specifically, a short one.) If you like it, why wouldn't you enjoy listening to it?
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Guys, stop fighting! This is just what the illuminati wants you to do! :foil: Oh, wait. Wrong thread!
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

The only reason that I don't like "Sports Song" as much as I like the other songs on the album is because I'm generally not a fan of marching band music. I understand how technically proficient the song is, I appreciate the ridiculous amount of work that must have gone into it, and I genuinely think the song is funny. But it's also the song I'm most likely to skip over. That being said, there's not a single track on this album that I flat-out dislike. I think that Mandatory Fun and Poodle Hat are the only two albums with that distinction for me. So, there's that.