Inactive

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Inactive

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I agree that it's not the strongest parody, lots of recycled ideas from things like Grapefruit Diet and You're Pitiful, but comparing Al's version to the OTHER "Inactive" parody on YouTube? Al by a landslide. Also, being an old person, I didn't know "Radioactive" and I like the melody, so I enjoy listening to it.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Well, it's a given that any Al song is going to be better than a YouTuber parody, but even Al said he tries to be the first one with an idea. This was the only parody on MF that had existing parodies (with same title) by others floating around. So that part was just a little disappointing, considering what he was able to do with "Blurred Lines", "Royals", etc.

Let's put it this way: I've listened to Al's "Inactive" multiple times by now. I couldn't make it through 30 seconds of ANY of the "Inactive" videos on YT.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

I think this song is alright because in terms of juxtaposition this parody is the wildest. I blame Provo and all music from Provo.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

mrmeadows wrote:Well, it's a given that any Al song is going to be better than a YouTuber parody, but even Al said he tries to be the first one with an idea. This was the only parody on MF that had existing parodies (with same title) by others floating around. So that part was just a little disappointing, considering what he was able to do with "Blurred Lines", "Royals", etc.
Hell, I found out someone else did a "Royals" parody called "Foil" on YouTube.

Al's version is still better because this particular YouTuber didn't even touch the conspiracy/tinfoil hat route and just made theirs seem like a more clumsily written version of Al's food related lines.

Also, I just thought of a way for the "cramped space" line to make some semblance of sense in the context of this song. Could part of the reason he is Inactive be that his apartment/living space is so cramped and small that he doesn't have enough room to move around or BE active in there?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I assumed it was because he doesn't move. A Trash Day scenario of sorts.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Killingsworth wrote:Also, I just thought of a way for the "cramped space" line to make some semblance of sense in the context of this song. Could part of the reason he is Inactive be that his apartment/living space is so cramped and small that he doesn't have enough room to move around or BE active in there?
I don't think that would make much sense. Moving around the apartment doesn't count as being active anyway. I understand that he moved recently and being lazy haven't put things in their places and therefore it's cramped space. Anyway, that jump of thought from watching TV to new apartment bothers me too. Also for some reason I don't like that "inertia" doesn't rhyme with "apocalypse".
It's really weird how Al, perfectionist as he is, allowed himself to release such uninspired and badly produced song :huh:
Udvarnoky

Post by Udvarnoky »

Wow, the hate!

I don't think people are giving this song its due credit, especially with regard to how authentically it recreates the unusual sound design of the original song, an effect which people are recklessly dismissing as a "bad mix." I think the problem is that because understanding the lyrics is more important for a parody than it was for the original, Al's erring on the side of faithfulness bothered some people. And yeah, even once clarified some of the lyrics are headscratchers. Those criticisms are fair enough, but one of his worst parodies?! Hardly. Any charges about the subject matter's played out-ness could be aimed at Handy, and more accurately too. Unreleased or not, a number of specific jokes are lifted from I'll Repair For You. Sports Song is the only track on this album that I think is even arguably weak.

Also, today I learned that some people actually dislike Syndicated Inc. and Cavity Search. Wackos!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Udvarnoky wrote:Wow, the hate!
Only slight disappointment, I believe :)
Udvarnoky wrote:authentically <...> recreates the unusual sound design of the original song
:huh: To my unprofessional ear it sounds like one of the least authentic reproduction of the original sound in all Al's discography (maybe except his very early songs).
Udvarnoky

Post by Udvarnoky »

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I'm with Helen. I was unfamiliar with "Radioactive" (another one of those old people), but I also like the melody, so I like to listen. Sound quality? Sure, it's a little muddy, but that doesn't stop me from listening.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325