Inactive

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Inactive

Post by Big Spoon »

Is it too early to start making threads for specific songs? Anyways, very excited for this parody.

In my mind, I've been thinking it'll be something like, "I'm so inactive." But then the thought just occurred to me that it could also be "You're so inactive." Either way, I'm guessing the show will allude to staying inside, spending a lot of time online, and probably binge watching TV.
And Peggy
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: Inactive

Post by mrmeadows »

Just FYI, there are at least two YouTube parodies that go this similar route. (One is called "Really Inactive" and the other is "Physically Active"). Honestly, they aren't the worst parodies I've ever heard, but I think we all know Al's version will be the go-to parody once it's out there. It's also probably the original I'm least familiar with, so I need to start brushing up on the original lyrics.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Imagine Dragons were really big at Sarah Lawrence, so I heard this song all the time. I'm pretty sure my comedy/theater troupe even did a piece to this song during one of our shows.
And Peggy
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Yeah, I think this is definitely going to be reminiscent of the "Really Inactive" one on YouTube. But I'm excited for it, because when I watched that I thought it seemed like a good concept that Al could execute far better.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Skippy wrote:Yeah, I think this is definitely going to be reminiscent of the "Really Inactive" one on YouTube. But I'm excited for it, because when I watched that I thought it seemed like a good concept that Al could execute far better.
The very beginning of that parody is actually good - just the first verse. By the time he gets to the chorus, he's lost his focus. I'm sure Al's will be much better.

That video is over a year old though. I've always wondered if Al bothers looking on YouTube to see if someone else already beat him to a parody. I guess he doesn't. I have to admit, my first thought when he announced that the tracklist would be released tomorrow is that someone would go and make a parody using the same title as one of his parodies and release it on YouTube before "Mandatory Fun"'s release.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I think Al already admitted that in this age of YouTube that he would never be the first one to come up with a parody anymore. Although with the exception of "Inactive", I don't see similar parodies of the others from MF out there.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

I thought this topic would have more posts than this. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

I'm really excited for this one, both because a song about someone not doing anything has humorous potential and because I'm really eager to hear Al and his band replicate the unique style Imagine Dragons has in Radioactive. I can't think of another Al song sounding anything like how this one probably will.

In terms of song length, Inactive is 2:56 and Radioactive (the standard version) is 3:09, so I'm not sure if anything is getting cut or if there is just a slightly increased tempo. When I first thought about this I thought the introduction part of the song on guitar with the "whoa"s would be cut, but that takes up around 25 seconds in Radioactive, so I'm not sure.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that this could be parodying the version featuring Kendrick, cutting out the intro but leaving in the rap verse. For some reason I think that's very unlikely though.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I just hope it won't be too similar to You're Pitiful.
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

I'm thinking it'll shorten the intro, possibly starting right when the lyrics and drums start.

I just listened to the original song again, and gosh it's pretty catchy. I'm really excited to see what Al does with this.