Handy

Moderator: Moderators

Skippy
Addicted

Re: Handy

Post by Skippy »

I'm pretty sure the goal of this video was to do a Tim & Eric style clip. Of the five parody targets, "Fancy" has the youngest audience, so Al went with a style for "Handy" that would appeal to them, and that's this cheap and goofy type thing that younger comedy fans are into right now.

It's the same reason "Tacky" has all the big cameos and "Word Crimes" is loaded with Internet in-jokes. Al had a specific target audience in mind for each vid, and he played to that audience. It's probably the best release week marketing strategy ever conceived, and it's going to get him his highest debut ever and possibly even the #1 album in the country!
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Handy seems a video that will probably age better than if it was a direct parody. In keeping away from a direct video parody for something that isn't super iconic and probably won't be in...20 years or whatever, he's guaranteed the video to be fresher in the future than what it could've been.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Mystik Tomato wrote:he's guaranteed the video to be fresher in the future than what it could've been.
Thats a strong argument
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

Am I the only person having trouble getting this video to play all the way through? I've been trying to watch it on different sites ever since it was released and it keeps breaking up. I don't think it's my computer, as I've had no problem watching any of the other videos. Weird!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Muppetboy09 wrote:One thing that I was going to point out but didn't, was that in the video, when he talks about "Leaf Blower stops to blow", his mustache disappears! Probably got knocked off his face by the leaf blower.
HAHA! I remember seeing a tweet that simply said "Disappearing moustache". I like the video, but it looks pixelated and blurry in some spots, unless that's just my server. Already posted a screen grab from it in the "Drooling Over Al" topic, but he was asking for it. ;)

4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I think a large reason why the video looks low budget and Tim and Eric-y is because I think it's supposed to be like a local commercial promoting his business. Kind of how the way local car commercials and stuff look. Super cheesy.
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I saw this link posted on twitter a few days ago. This is so great! Someone went to all the trouble of breaking down all the DIY tasks mentioned in the song, and posted videos on how to do each one, from the This Old House crew. Just...wow. :clap:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/thisoldhouse/ho ... weird-239k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After going to this page and looking at the crew, I'm wondering if Al wore the blonde wig and 'stache to look like Tom Silva. They dub his 'stache the "Silva 'stache" on the page. The outfit is clearly Schneider from One Day At A Time, but this might explain why Al went with a blonde wig and 'stache instead of a black one.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I'm just going to add that not only here, but on a few other sites, people seem to get this line wrong - "Maybe I'll hook up this here combo washer-dryer ". They seem to think it's "Maybe I'll hook up your dishwasher combo dryer", which makes no sense. :blink: They even put "combo" in the wrong place.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

Who agrees that this song would have been 100 times better if the lyrics were "Don't even care if I cut off my thumb!"?
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

The video needed Emo Phillips.