Mission Statement

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Mission Statement

Post by TMBJon »

I thought this video was just okay. Kind of on par with the high-end expectations for a pre-MF animated video. It was fun to watch and fit with the song thematically, but I don't think it has as much repeat viewing potential as any of the other videos. Still grateful because I think it's better than any of the Straight Outta Lynwood animated videos.

This had the opposite effect as Lame Claim To Fame for me. On that one, I thought the song was just okay but the video was so incredibly good. For Mission Statement, I think the song is so incredibly good, but the video is just okay.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

I'm with Jon on this one. I love Mission Statement and this video isn't going to change that any, but much like "Sports Song," I just felt there were some missed opportunities. It felt like a very literal interpretation of the lyrics, and that's the last thing this song needs. The part during the instrumental section before the line "Bringing to the table..." where the hippie/corporate worlds are woven together--that's what this whole video should have been, because that's the point of the song. The fact that there's a brief moment of that makes the video even more disappointing.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Skippy wrote:where the hippie/corporate worlds are woven together--that's what this whole video should have been
Yes! I would have totally preferred a completely psychedelic version of this video that was more like you were watching it on acid because that's how I feel when listening to the song. :wacko:
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

I found this great response on reddit to the video
Wow. This song is incredible. For those unfamiliar with Crosby, Stills, and Nash and the seventies in the US in general, I could see where this would go over some peoples heads. Basically, Weird Al is using a band from the 70s known for their political involvement--more or less, chastising "the man," or the government, the people in charge--to critique the flower children of the 1970s for the corporate lingo and destruction their generation brought about in the business world. Otherwise said, the generation known for loudly and proudly chastising "the man" has ultimately become "the man" themselves. That Weird Al saved this salvo to be hosted on the Wall Street Journal adds even more to its bite. If you are reading this Weird Al, bravo.
In hiding since 2010
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

That Weird Al saved this salvo to be hosted on the Wall Street Journal adds even more to its bite.
I wholeheartedly with the entire comment, but I especially agreed with this. When I saw that was the host site this morning, I lol'ed.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TMBJon wrote:When I saw that was the host site this morning, I lol'ed.
Same here. I have to wonder if anyone from the demographic it targets watched this video today and felt a little bit of a sting.
Wolfman
Occasional

Post by Wolfman »

I've worked in the business world for the past 14 years, and although I can very strongly identify with the lyrics to this song, I can tell you that neither myself nor most of my colleagues would find this to be offensive or a "bit of a sting" in any way.

A little secret about the business world - We are all fully aware of how ridiculous and meaningless all of those "buzz words" sound.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Wolfman wrote: A little secret about the business world - We are all fully aware of how ridiculous and meaningless all of those "buzz words" sound.
But were you a hippie? Because that's the important part of this song's message.
Wolfman
Occasional

Post by Wolfman »

Not quite. I was born just a bit too late to have been a hippie.
angela27
Occasional

Post by angela27 »

remmy wrote:It's probably my least favorite of the bunch. Visually it's pretty cool, but there aren't a lot of jokes (kind of like the song itself I guess).
I have actually sat through a truScribe'd training class at work. (I work for one of those giant defense contractors.) I have a feeling there are a lot of other people at a lot of other big corporations that have sat through truScribe presentations and classes and their selection for the video was a shout-out to us who have seen it before. :D