My Own Eyes

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: [spoiler][lyrics] My Own Eyes

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Well, Well, Well wrote:No way, the bad hair day originals are the best collection of originals.
Lyrically, I would agree with you. I was saying that I thinks these originals are musically the strongest Al has ever done. The musicianship on them is absolutely fantastic.
symphy
Occasional

Post by symphy »

Kevbo1987 wrote:Lyrically, I would agree with you. I was saying that I thinks these originals are musically the strongest Al has ever done. The musicianship on them is absolutely fantastic.
I agree with this, and the production values are top notch as well. I think that's what makes a song like Mission Statement work so well, despite not trying to be "funny" in a line-by-line way -- it just sounds awesome. Almost doesn't matter what the lyrics are when it sounds that good. :)
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It does seem like with some of the originals on the recent albums, this one included, Al focused more on really nailing the sound of the original artist than on the cleverness of the lyrics. That may be a good or bad thing depending upon perspective.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Re: My Own Eyes

Post by PlayAWarGame »

Musically fantastic and, honestly, that's often the real feature of a Weird Al original. Lyrically good enough.

Incidentally, that was also my opinion of the widely-hated Ringtone, which I saw no problem with, myself.
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I agree that this song is in a similar category with "Ringtone." It captures the style of the band masterfully. But lyrically it's just okay. However, "My Own Eyes" is a million times funnier than "Ringtone." Here's a mathematical expression to clarify:

"My Own Eyes" > "Ringtone" > Rebecca Black's "Friday" > "Syndicated Inc."
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I honestly don't even think about the lyrics in this song. He might as well be saying "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet." The music is funny enough for me.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

That's precisely how I feel about the originals. I feel like they're not always laugh-out-loud funny, but from a musical standpoint, they're beyond incredible. This song absolutely nails the Foo Fighters' sound, and I can pick out a bunch of different Foo songs that Al could have had in mind when writing this -- in particular, there are more than a few traces of "DOA", "The Pretender" and "Times Like These" in there. I'm curious about which songs Al had the band listen to for this one.
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

I do totally want a Lorem Impsum Al song now, though, a la Bob. What style would it be parodying, though?
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
Cameron the Taco
Occasional

Post by Cameron the Taco »

PlayAWarGame wrote:I do totally want a Lorem Impsum Al song now, though, a la Bob. What style would it be parodying, though?
I would l would it if he would write a song completely in Latin, but I don't see it happening since it wouldn't appeal to many people.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

PlayAWarGame wrote:I do totally want a Lorem Impsum Al song now, though, a la Bob. What style would it be parodying, though?
Some screamy kind of metal, where you can't comprehend a word anyway.