Pharrell "Happy"
18%

Total votes: 71

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Best Parody Target

Post by Bruce the Duck »

tomatochives wrote:
(Also, I think it's funny how you included Nirvana in that list. They never even intended to be popular.)
Right. That's one of the things that drove Kurt Cobain to suicide. I was in middle school at the time of Nirvana's rise to popularity, and I distinctly remember the adults at that time complaining about how grunge was garbage music. Al even made reference to it in his parody. Now, they're held to same level of esteem as Elvis and MJ. Same thing happened with Eminem. It makes me wonder which of today's artists that are put down will one day be well-respected and admired.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

My order of preference is:

1. Royals
2. Fancy
3. Happy
4. Radioactive
5. Blurred Lines

I would say I like the first three, and I dislike the last two.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

Ugh I'm a teenager and I don't like any of these what is wrong with me
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yup. wrote:Ugh I'm a teenager and I don't like any of these what is wrong with me
Besides your lack of punctuation (#wordcrimes), nothing. Everyone has their own tastes. :w
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Besides your lack of punctuation (#wordcrimes)
Purposely did that, thank you for noticing. ;)
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
WeirdAbbott
Off The Deep End

Post by WeirdAbbott »

I voted for Happy just for the simple fact that every time it's on the radio, I turn it up (can't say that about all the others).

And no offense to the older generations, but when people say things like "kids these days don't make good music anymore" it kind of grinds my gears. The good stuff has survived the test of time and you forget the crappy stuff. You're basically taking the "greatest hits" of the past 50 years and comparing it to everything that is being made now. Is there crappy "music" being made these days? Absolutely, without question. But do you know when crappy music was also made? Forever! For every "Hey Jude", there is a "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. For every "Stairway to Heaven", there is a "Things Get A Little Easier" by Think. I'm just saying...
amiright.com/parody/authors/abbottskelding.shtml
youtube.com/WeirdAbbott
facebook.com/TheAbbottSkelding
soundclick.com/TheAbbottSkelding
facebook.com/AbbottSkeldingDesign
darkhornet
Occasional

Post by darkhornet »

WeirdAbbott wrote:I voted for Happy just for the simple fact that every time it's on the radio, I turn it up (can't say that about all the others).

And no offense to the older generations, but when people say things like "kids these days don't make good music anymore" it kind of grinds my gears. The good stuff has survived the test of time and you forget the crappy stuff. You're basically taking the "greatest hits" of the past 50 years and comparing it to everything that is being made now. Is there crappy "music" being made these days? Absolutely, without question. But do you know when crappy music was also made? Forever! For every "Hey Jude", there is a "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. For every "Stairway to Heaven", there is a "Things Get A Little Easier" by Think. I'm just saying...
This is an excellent point. I'm sure there's some people who would say there is nothing good produced today. However, I think we'll find a few songs from the last 10 years that will pass the test of time, others that will bring back interesting memories, and a host of others that will be utterly forgettable. But, the same can be said of every generation of music.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

WeirdAbbott wrote:I'm sure there's some people who would say there is nothing good produced today.
I'm sure you're right, but those people obviously aren't looking. I'm not in too many "target demographics" anymore, but I still think there is plenty of good music being produced today. For starters, I also enjoy "Happy" (in small doses) as well as "Radioactive," just for songs that are being parodied on MF. Outside of that, I really like The Black Keys, fun., Jack White/White Stripes and quite a few other random songs here and there. Then again, I also enjoy a lot of music from before "my time," so maybe that's just me.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

WeirdAbbott wrote:And no offense to the older generations, but when people say things like "kids these days don't make good music anymore" it kind of grinds my gears. The good stuff has survived the test of time and you forget the crappy stuff. You're basically taking the "greatest hits" of the past 50 years and comparing it to everything that is being made now. Is there crappy "music" being made these days? Absolutely, without question. But do you know when crappy music was also made? Forever! For every "Hey Jude", there is a "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. For every "Stairway to Heaven", there is a "Things Get A Little Easier" by Think. I'm just saying...
That's another very good point. In other contexts, this is called "cherry picking". People have a belief that a particular generation's (usually their own) music was the best and they choose to identify acts that prop up their belief while ignoring those that don't. Very good observation, Abbot. :great:
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I went with Royals.

I liked the song when it first came out, but I also distinctly remember getting the "Just watch: This song will be on every radio station EVER in 5 months and you'll be sick of it" vibe. And of course, that happened. In fact, I haven't heard the full song in months.

Anyway, regarding current music, my motto is always "If you believe no good music has been made since *insert decade here*, you're not trying to find it hard enough.

I can't say I particularly like any of these songs outside of Royals, but all of them have their strengths and none of them are too unpleasant to listen to. I do like Iggy's style of music, but she hasn't done anything that's convinced me enough to pay more attention to her, I think Imagine Dragons bring an interesting sound to the mix (Though I like It's Time way better than Radioactive), I prefer less poppy Pharell but he's someone I've always been cool with, and Blurred Lines (Whatever you think of the lyrical content or the Marvin Gaye controversy or the video or Robin's personal life, etc) I think ultimately is the "Al's a jukebox, he has to do what everyone wants" song of the last couple years (Sorry Thrift Shop....maybe you'll be in the polka), and I think unlike Born This Way, Al would have had more time and less pressure to work on his ideas for it. My take on the song: I don't really care for it, but I hear it all the time (More than I care to) when I play NBA 2K14 and I'll give it this: It's damn catchy.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?