Mandatory Fun Chit Chat Topic

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Mandatory Fun Chit Chat Topic

Post by anthontherun »

I don't really know where's the best place to post this but I just have to say, damn you Taylor Swift for not releasing "Shake it Off" three months ago because I would have loved to hear Al parody it. I've been toying with some ideas ever since I first heard it (and the 27 times I've listened to it since in the last 24 hours...ok, that's an exaggeration, but I really, really like this song) but man, Al could have done something amazing with this.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

anthontherun wrote:I don't really know where's the best place to post this but I just have to say, damn you Taylor Swift for not releasing "Shake it Off" three months ago because I would have loved to hear Al parody it. I've been toying with some ideas ever since I first heard it (and the 27 times I've listened to it since in the last 24 hours...ok, that's an exaggeration, but I really, really like this song) but man, Al could have done something amazing with this.
Not sure how i would feel about it. It is kind of a song telling off the haters, so people would probably get offended by his parody of it, since it is practically a song against bullying.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Well, Born This Way had a similar 'let's-all-get-along' vibe and that was still parodied with respect.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Beat It is against gang violence, Confessions Pt 2 is about a bastard child, Blurred Lines is about rape and Like A Virgin is all about a girl who digs a guy with a big dick. The entire song. It's a metaphor for big dicks. Who gives a toss what the song is about in the first place?
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Early on at one point I made a mistake in one post somewhere on the forum, confusing Tacky and Handy regarding the songs they are parodies of. And I feel like it would be more appropriate if the parody subjects were the other way around. Handy sounds more similar a word as Happy, while Tacky and Fancy seem like opposites.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

weird user wrote:Early on at one point I made a mistake in one post somewhere on the forum, confusing Tacky and Handy regarding the songs they are parodies of. And I feel like it would be more appropriate if the parody subjects were the other way around. Handy sounds more similar a word as Happy, while Tacky and Fancy seem like opposites.
Again, as I believe I have said before, Tacky flows off the tongue a lot easier in Happy. Notice "Happy" and "Tacky" rhyme, as well as "Fancy" and "Handy". They don't rhyme the other way around, so that is why they flow better in their context.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Yeah, "Tacky" would work for either target, but the hard D sound in "Handy" is pretty clunky if you incorporate it into "Happy."
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Mystik Tomato wrote:Beat It is against gang violence

Which is why Coolio's "It ain't like dat wit Beat It" rant will always make me laugh. ALWAYS.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
louietheweaselfaceddogboy
Obsessed

Post by louietheweaselfaceddogboy »

I sure wish Mandatory Fun had some sort of supplemental material.

Running with Scissors had the secret computer file, Poodle Hat had the not-so-secret computer file.
Straight Outta Lynwood had the DualDisc format, Alpocalypse had the optional two discs.

And none for G̶r̶e̶t̶c̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶W̶i̶e̶n̶e̶r̶s̶ Mandatory Fun, bye.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

louietheweaselfaceddogboy wrote:I sure wish Mandatory Fun had some sort of supplemental material.
I agree with you. I was, at the very least, hoping for some instrumental tracks seeing as it was likely going to be Al's last major physical release. But the fact was that Al wanted to get this out as soon as possible, it would have greatly increased the amount of time it would have taken to press and ship the album. And he ended up getting a #1 album - I'd trade a number one album for Al over instrumental tracks any day.