The Irony of Mandatory Fun

Moderator: Moderators

Muldernscully
Addicted

Re: The Irony of Mandatory Fun

Post by Muldernscully »

mellow weasel wrote:
Muldernscully wrote:Fair enough. What do you think his reason was for not issuing a lead single?
He already explained his opinion, and had a good point. If you don't remember, scroll up and read again. Also Al explained his reasons in many interviews, it's not some kind of a mystery :stern:
Sheesh, mellow. Do you think I can be bothered to scroll up to see what kevbo posted 6 DAYS AGO? That might hurt my wrist! :annoyed:

Also, just because Al explained his reasons in many interviews, doesn't mean those are his real reasons. I'm not saying Al is a liar and those reasons aren't legitimate. I'm just saying that maybe it isn't the full truth. Al is not going to go out in public and say, "Yeah, none of my parodies are strong enough to be a lead single on this album, so I'm changing my marketing strategy on this album." That would not be good pub for him.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I don't think he's keeping a secretive reason for not choosing one lead single. It just makes no sense anymore to do so, especially when there's an album full of worthy tracks. I think his reasons were very normal and legit, and I don't believe he would have the slightest reason for making any type of excuse regarding this. Just a natural change of the way things used to be.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Both Tacky and Word Crimes would've made great lead singles. The reason he didn't do it that way is because he had eight music videos and would rather have eight singles to promote instead of the usual one. It worked, he got a number one album.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Now I'm looking forward to a new video collection release. Including the SOL vids, Alpocalypse and Mandatory Fun. This can be done in many ways but I was thinking only a select number of animated and unofficial videos included. I have all of the Alpocalypse ones that came with the album but my collection needs White & Nerdy, the Mandatory videos and some of the Lynwood/Alpocalypse videos like Trapped In The Drive Thru would be nice to have. Would love to see CNR, Whatever You Like and Ringtone included though. Skipper Dan had a descent video too, but I wouldn't mind if it was not included. :offtopic: I know.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

TMBJon wrote:Both Tacky and Word Crimes would've made great lead singles. The reason he didn't do it that way is because he had eight music videos and would rather have eight singles to promote instead of the usual one. It worked, he got a number one album.
Those two seem to be the most recognized tracks among the people I've talked to outside the forum who may not necessarily be as dedicated to Al as we are :)
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I think both those tracks have a high chance of sticking around the set a while. We'll just have to wait and see where the staying power lies.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

I'm so glad he thought to do this last year. The concept of singles is pretty dated tbh, especially in Al's case, because he never really got much radio airplay, and only a handful of his songs have had crossover appeal to people outside the fanbase (although the MF parodies I think are strong, and would've been relatively popular anyway). 8 videos is far better than 1 lead single and maybe 1 or 2 more videos, as he usually did. Similarly. I think creating animated videos for the originals helped make SOL even more popular back in 2006.

Granted we didn't quite have a YouTube yet in 2003, but I think if he had done this for Poodle Hat, it would've been far more popular than it was, despite Eminem's objections. Especially considering that Al "grew up with" MTV and he's always been really visual, videos have always been a huge part of his career.
Al-oholic since 1991!