Weird Al Seriously (New Book)

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Weird Al Seriously (New Book)

Post by Killingsworth »

So, Al is already promoting this on the mothership and yet I have strangely heard nothing about this.

He's been promoting this along with Nathan Rabin's "Weird Accordion To Al" book which I've heard about endlessly (because I follow Rabin on social media and backed the Kickstarter for the book as soon as it was announced) but again, this is the first I'm hearing about the book "Weird Al Seriously" and it comes out on March 4. I'm not even sure what angle it even takes on Al.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Re: Weird Al Seriously (New Book)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Killingsworth wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm this is the first I'm hearing about the book "Weird Al Seriously" and it comes out on March 4. I'm not even sure what angle it even takes on Al.
Based on what I can find about the author of the book online (she has a degree in musicology) and, well, the title of the book, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the "angle" will be a serious study of his music. Probably a lot of why he does what he does and why it works. Count me very interested.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

AlejandraDD wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:30 pmBased on what I can find about the author of the book online (she has a degree in musicology) and, well, the title of the book, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the "angle" will be a serious study of his music. Probably a lot of why he does what he does and why it works. Count me very interested.
So, it's probably going to be a lot less "jokey" than Rabins' new book? I've read some of his essays about certain Al songs on his site already and he has some exaggerated lies for comedic effect. Hopefully, this won't also be a series of essays as well like Nathan is doing.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Olander

Post by Olander »

I can take "less jokey" as long as it's not devoid of any and all humour.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I didn't have a lot of interest in this at first, but after hearing Dave and Ethan interview the author a few weeks ago, my interest greatly piqued. Have my copy pre-ordered - looking forward to reading it.
And Peggy
KingMixer

Post by KingMixer »

I'm about two-thirds of the way through the book, and I'm enjoying it. It's definitely a serious look at Al: His music, how he writes it, and its effect on society.

Importantly, it's a book "authorized" by Al. While the author quotes Al from a variety of sources, she did actually interview the man himself for the book.

Looking forward to finishing it.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Really enjoyed the book. Its what i had hoped Rabins book would be about. And to make things better, there are a bunch of quotes from WOWAY in it, including one from me!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

minnick27 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am Really enjoyed the book. Its what i had hoped Rabins book would be about. And to make things better, there are a bunch of quotes from WOWAY in it, including one from me!
Wow! Can you tell us who else from here is quoted in the book?