Is this the end after 20 years?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Is this the end after 20 years?

Post by WHiZZi »

Hi all,

I just wanted to check something and found out the forum didn't work. Something on the database which was easily fixed, but I don't know how long this has been going on. Given the fact I haven't got any message in any way, I don't think the forum is actually used anymore. Apart from every now and then spammers are registering.

So, shall I shut down the forum and keep it as read only? Is the World of Weird Al Yankovic dying after 20 years?

I wonder how many people will even respond here. I'll give it about 2 weeks before I will make the website read only (as an archive).
dysequilibrium
Occasional

Re: Is this the end after 20 years?

Post by dysequilibrium »

I don’t know if you saw it or if it even went through, but I did send an message to the webmaster email. Someone also posted on the CPFOA FB group about it.

I’d be sad to see it go but I’m really glad that you’re at least going to keep it as read-only. This forum feels like a time capsule of the fanbase from the early 2000s all the way to the Mandatory Fun era. As a relatively new fan it’s such a privilege to be able to revisit everything in here.

Thank you for all your service throughout the years :)

(By the way I kept getting logged out when trying to send my reply...it worked after the 6th try. Kinda panicked there for a moment thinking that the site wouldn’t allow me to send this O_O)
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

This forum was very useful during the Vanity Tour. Since Al hasn't been performing or releasing much lately, I'm not surprised that there isn't much activity here. I'm glad that the forum won't be taken down completely. Facebook and Reddit provide pretty good platforms to discuss Al. However, if he does something huge and complicated like the Vanity Tour, I'm sure I'd miss having this dedicated forum for organized discussions with hardcore fans.

Either way, thanks for all your work!
Bruh12828
Occasional

Post by Bruh12828 »

You should still keep it active.
Wierd Ai Yankovich
Mashed Potato
Off The Deep End

Post by Mashed Potato »

I haven't been on here in years, but given that, I would definitely be supportive of it being shifted to a read-only archive.

It would be a shame to lose all of the dirt I have on Chris good memories I have on here, with people who have become real friends over all these years.

Thank you for all the fun!
SWIGGITY SWOOTY
piranha
Addicted

Post by piranha »

it keeps logging me out while i try to respond to this, but this forum was my first real experience with fandom back when i joined & i couldn't have asked for a better community to start with. i don't post here much anymore, but i do log on every once in a while hoping to see activity and old friends. i'll miss WoWAY very much if you decide to shut it down, but thank you for the good memories :(W💙
they/them pronouns please !! (previously: CrazyWeirdAlLady)
mikelgb
Die-hard Fan

Post by mikelgb »

I rarely post but still lurk, especially when events are about to happen or anything AL related makes the news. I understand if you want to shut it down / make it read-only, but I would hope that you keep it going or attempt to pass the torch instead.

:please:
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

I think if Al goes on your again or releases something new there will be a big uptick in traffic. That hasn't happened but I hope it does soon.
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

dysequilibrium wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:33 pm I don’t know if you saw it or if it even went through, but I did send an message to the webmaster email. Someone also posted on the CPFOA FB group about it.
How odd, I haven't received an e-mail.

First of all, I won't just delete this website and will always keep it online. It's not that it cost me a lot (or anything even) and it's 20 years of history here anyway.

Also, it was my first big website which started on my home build server back in the day. Now it's still on a server I configured myself btw. So, it has a bit of proud that it still exists today.

The fact I didn't receive a message that the website was down worried me that nobody was looking or caring anymore. But you guys proved it still is alive so I'll keep it as is. I'll even try to fix that weird login issue (which I don't have issues with btw). It's search engine, albeit bad, is better than Facebook's ;)
dysequilibrium
Occasional

Post by dysequilibrium »

YAY!!!! :yay: