Weird Rush

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Weird Rush

Post by mrmeadows »

I was perusing the net for song parodies just now and somehow ended up on Rush Limbaugh's Song Parody Page. This is on Rush's official site, and even though I can't say I'm a huge fan of his I scrolled down and had a look at some of the parody titles. I noticed that under the heading of "Rush Limbaugh Greats" was the title "Spatula City" (sprinkled amongst

more politically-skewed titles that were apparently made exclusively for Rush's radio show, such as "Just One Look" as sung by Hans Blix). There was no mention of Weird Al or UHF, though, so I couldn't be sure it was the same bit that we all know and love. You have to be a paying member of his site to listen to the clip, and I'm not about to hand over any money to that guy.

So I find a site that pretty much mirrors the Rush Parody Page, except you can actually listen to all of the clips for free, and sure enough it's Al's "Spatula City" from UHF!

I find it a little wrong that Rush has it on his site with no credit given to Al or the movie, and in fact making it appear like it was original material that HE (or his staff) came up with by putting it under the heading "Rush Limbaugh Greats".

Anyway, I'm not trying to start another political flame war (this has nothing to do with politics, actually), I just thought a guy like Rush would have more class than that.

Meadows
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: Weird Rush

Post by Teh Dingo »

I find it a little wrong that Rush has it on his site with no credit given to Al or the movie, and in fact making it appear like it was original material that HE (or his staff) came up with by putting it under the banner "Rush Limbaugh Greats".

Anyway, I'm not trying to start another political flame war (this has nothing to do with politics, actually), I just thought a guy like Rush would have more class than that.

Meadows

That is just absolutly horrible. I'd lose all my respect for Rush, except I didn't have any to begin with (And that goes for any political talker, no matter what side they're on). But that's just pure greed right there.

And speaking of pure greed...500!!!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Well, that's just wrong. Even worse is that you have to pay to listen to sound clips.

*lost more respect for that guy* Hmph. You should give Al credit for Spatula City too on there.

-CindyBob
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I don't mean to be posting here right now. . .didn't there used to be a "Delete Post" button?!?

Meadows
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

The parodies Rush plays usually aren't produced by him or his peeps. I think Rush pays royalties for the stuff he plays on his shows (how could he not and get away with it?) As far as the stuff oh his webpage, who knows?

It would be worth an email or twenty seven to ask the question.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

The parodies Rush plays usually aren't produced by him or his peeps. I think Rush pays royalties for the stuff he plays on his shows (how could he not and get away with it?) As far as the stuff oh his webpage, who knows?

Well, not exactly. According to Rush's site, a guy named Paul Shanklin is the show's resident "funnyman" who does practically all of the song and commercial parodies played on the show. Rush's Parody Page DOES credit this Shanklin fellow and even links to his website (where you can buy CDs of all his work). . .but Al's name appears nowhere. In fact, if one didn't infer that Rush himself came up with "Spatula City", they certainly could infer that Shanklin might have. If he's gonna link to Shanklin's site, he might as well link to Al's site!

Then again, maybe Al wouldn't want his name associated with Mr. Limbaugh.

Of course, I further wonder if Rush is legally in the wrong for not only neglecting to give credit where it's due, but for offering up copyrighted material on the internet for a charge!

Meadows
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Well, not exactly. According to Rush's site, a guy named Paul Shanklin is the show's resident "funnyman" who does practically all of the song and commercial parodies played on the show.

But Paul Shanklin doesn't (or didn't) work for Rush. But it's been quite some time since I have listened to Rush, so things may have changed.

And I agree. Credit where credit's due. We should email him. I believe it's [email protected] but that may have changed too.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

According to Shankin's bio:

"Paul has written and produced over 800 song parodies, skits and spoof commercials for [Rush's] show, and has released seven successful albums."

So maybe he isn't on Rush's payroll, per se, but he seems to practically be the Official radio show parodist.

And after much searching around the site, I found out that Rush's e-mail addy is now [email protected], in case you wanted to write him about his possible misuse of SC.

Meadows
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

So maybe he isn't on Rush's payroll, per se, but he seems to practically be the Official radio show parodist.

I think you are correct on both points.

Emailing him is a good idea. Maybe we can get him to at least give Al credit. And if he's not paying those royalties, maybe Al's peeps can check on that.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Honestly, I have to believe that this is on the up-and-up in the legal sense, but even if royalties are being paid I think Rush needs to give Al some credit on the site if he's gonna offer up the clip.

I'm e-mailing him.

Meadows,

Your Servant