Weird Rush

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I think you're right. I will be checking it out and emailing him too.

Not even Rush can diss our boy!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Actually, does anyone here listen to Rush? I think it would be funny if enough of us e-mailed him about the "Spatula City" thing that he mentioned it on the air. Me? I don't think I could listen to more than 10 minutes of his show without throwing my radio out the window, but if any of you guys or gals are regular listeners, keep an ear out!

Meadows
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I used to listen to him fairly regularly. Where I live now, I can't reliably get the station that he's on. However, I'm sure I could find a stream, and I could stomach listening to him if you want me to.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I listen sometime.....only because I love it when totally stupid people call in......my favorite is when a guy called and said we should put Saddam Hussein on and island.....this guy obviously has no idea....makes you worry.....

rush *shakes finger* SHAME ON YOU!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

That'd be cool. I'm sure the chances of him responding on-air about this are pretty minuscule, but you never know. I just sent my e-mail, so maybe if he gets a lot of queries about this he'd be more apt to mention it.

I'd hate for you to have to listen to TOO much of his show, but I figure if he's gonna talk about it at all it would be within the next couple of days. If you don't mind taking a bullet for the team (and if you think there actually is the off-chance possibility of a "Weird Al" mention on The Rush Limbaugh Show) then it might not hurt to listen for a day or two.

Rush probably archives the show on his site, too, but I bet you have to be a "paying member" again.

Meadows,

With Talent On Loan from AL!

(I wish!)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I'd hate for you to have to listen to TOO much of his show, but I figure if he's gonna talk about it at all it would be within the next couple of days. If you don't mind taking a bullet for the team

I actually don't mind listening to Rush once in a while. He's pretty funny. I just have listened to him for long enough that I don't have to tune in more than about once every few months to know what he thinks about anything. He tends to get stuck on topics...
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

This reminds me of a situation I had with a local radio station a few years ago (and I've told this story before on the newsgroup, in case anyone started feeling deja vu).

I was driving home one afternoon and had turned on the big local talk radio station. Their uberloud sports guy was beaming about this new parody song someone on their staff had recorded. He claimed the song was about Dwight Gooden's then-recent hernia operation.

As he played the song, I noticed two things right off the bat....it sounded very much like a certain James Brown song, and it sounded very much like a certain Weird Al song!

With the exception of maybe two or three different phrases, their version of "Living With A Hernia" was almost a word-for-word copy of Al's song. After the song ended, the on-air people were praising it and congratulating their lil' intern. They invited people to call in and say how much they liked the song.

That was right around the time that I got home.

When I got through to their call screener, I asked, "You know that 'Living With A Hernia' song you've been playing?"

"Oh yeah. People keep calling to talk about it!" the call screener replied.

"Well, you know that you guys are ripping off a Weird Al song, right?"

"We are?"

"Yes, off his 'Polka Party!' album. I don't think Al would like it if someone out there was plagiarizing his work. Couldn't you just have played his version instead?"

The screener asked if I wanted to go on the air about this, but I politely declined (I think I may have said that I would just get a hold of Al's representatives instead).

After I hung up, I listened in again on the radio station. They suddenly became very quiet about their staffer's newfound comedy genius. One person called in and said how funny the song was, but the host kind of mumbled out, "Yeah yeah, it's good...what's your question?"
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Rush has been playing "Spatula City" for years. You won't hear it unless your local station doesn't sell local commercial space. He uses it as filler after his national commercials air. I understand there's a bunch of silly commercials he uses as filler.

And I'm sure he pays royalties to the right people. It wold be kind of silly for the #1 talk radio show to not pay royalties. Same way it would be silly for the #1 music station in town to play a song over and over again and not pay royalties on that.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

I listen sometime.....only because I love it when totally stupid people call in......
That's why I love late night college radio. I don't even know what kind of people Al had to put up with!
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

And I'm sure he pays royalties to the right people. It wold be kind of silly for the #1 talk radio show to not pay royalties. Same way it would be silly for the #1 music station in town to play a song over and over again and not pay royalties on that.

I'm sure you're right about the royalties thing, but.....where are Al's props? Does Rush say "...and that was 'Spatula City' from Weird Al Yankovic's hilarious movie UHF!" after he plays it? And even if he does, he should at least give Al his due on the website where he has SC listed. That's what I'm taking issue with.

Meadows