Weird Rush

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I don't think someone as prominent as Rush would plagerize Al's songs. I'm sure its being played on there legally.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE I don't think someone as prominent as Rush would plagerize Al's songs. I'm sure its being played on there legally.

Well, no one is claiming Rush is plagarizing the bit--it's the same cut from the movie/album--he just isn't giving Al credit for it. That's a big problem if you ask me. If more Rush listeners who thought SC was a hoot KNEW that Al was behind it, then we'd have more Rush listeners who were fans of Al! Unfortunately, I think most Rush listeners (who aren't already Al fans) probably just think Rush came up with it.

People can be stupid that way.*

Meadows

*(no reflection on Rush fans)
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

QUOTE I'm sure you're right about the royalties thing, but.....where are Al's props?  Does Rush say \"...and that was 'Spatula City' from Weird Al Yankovic's hilarious movie UHF!\" after he plays it?  And even if he does, he should at least give Al his due on the website where he has SC listed. That's what I'm taking issue with.

I listen to Rush whenever I get the chance, which because of my work schedule is usually only one or two times a month, but I have yet to hear SC played so I don't know if he says anything. I doubt I will actually because my station sells local commercials.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that he does not. At least not regularly, maybe now and then. Here's why, whenever I listen to top 40 radio, which is also only about one or two times a month, I never hear the DJs say the name of the song or even who is singing it, so if I hear a song I like, I usually have to resort to asking someone who sings it or searching for info about it online. That's not necessarily right, but that's the way things seem to be handled.

I haven't been to Rush's site, but if he did take the time to list the song parodies he uses and didn't credit the artist, or listed the credit wrong, then I think that needs to be fixed. Email the web page author, as it may have just been an oversight. Whoever updates the page may never have been told it was Al. Don't jump to conclusions that Al's credit was intentionally left off the site.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Oh, another radio reference, 92.3 Xtreme Radio, the local rock station, (which has played AWBP) commonly references UHF. In the morning show commercial they said "Ohh...you get a RED SNAPPER!!!! Mmm, very tasty." for a sushi gift certificate prize I think, and for their "That Damn Punk Show" commercial, they play "Not a bunch of punks, broadcasting out of a closet!"
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

QUOTE I don't think someone as prominent as Rush would plagerize Al's songs. I'm sure its being played on there legally.

Well maybe he would. After all he IS a republican, JK! Michael Savage would, not Rush.

(no offense to any of the republican s out there)
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

I heard the SC commercial a few years back when listening to RL on my lunch break ..there was no preface to it or mention who made it, it just played like a regular radio commercial. Made my day! :)

-Shelley
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

In all honesty I think that is the best way to do it. I think playing it straight, and not saying "HEy there was just a joke here" is better than playing it and then crediting Al. Not that it shouldnt be listed on the website, but he shouldnt say it on air.

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

QUOTE (no offense to any of the republican s out there)

None taken. Is Rush a Republican? I know before the 92 election he had never voted. Or registered.

Michael Savage? I only heard of him just the other day. Whatever else he may be, he's NOT a good example of Republicans or Conservatives.... YIKES!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE Is Rush a Republican?  I know before the 92 election he had never voted.  Or registered.  

Or worked. And was on welfare (which he now condemns as an evil social program). But whatever.

QUOTE Michael Savage?  I only heard of him just the other day.  Whatever else he may be, he's NOT a good example of Republicans or Conservatives....  YIKES!

Savage isn't a Republican. He's an Idiot. Although not as idiotic as MSNBC, who should have seen this coming a mile away (just read his books or listen to his radio show, where he says just as offensive things).

Meadows
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE QUOTE (no offense to any of the republican s out there)

None taken. Is Rush a Republican? I know before the 92 election he had never voted. Or registered.

Michael Savage? I only heard of him just the other day. Whatever else he may be, he's NOT a good example of Republicans or Conservatives.... YIKES!