Make The Rock Hall Weird

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Make The Rock Hall Weird 2.0

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I don't remember any particular push for donations for the Rock Hall effort! It's mostly been things we've been asked to DO.

As for the star fund, I don't see where sending money for that in any way prohibits me from sending money for starving children. If anybody's in the kind of financial place where it's truly an either-or, then yeah, go for the starving children.

BTW, WWW, I hope you're planning something notable for your Post #12727. Coming up soon now!
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

yes yes, i'm going to spend $12727 on make the rock hall "weird" merchandise. let those malnourished africians rot on!
taste is only something if it is yours.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I think you should send it to the malnourished Africans so you can maintain your position of moral superiority over us.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

nah, i'm no peter singer, i only care about morals when it's convenient for me. the time is now for weird al to make it to the rock hall.
taste is only something if it is yours.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I know you're trying to uphold your stupid little "gadfly" role, but there's a difference between being a gadfly and being a d*ckhead. Guess which one you've been lately.

Tell you what, group of recent haters, considering I don't have any indication that any of you have done a single solitary thing for either campaign (or for starving African kids, for that matter, to use the glib example), maybe you guys should DO something first and THEN I'll be happy to entertain any arguments about these being futile efforts. I know this whole forum has become little more than a playground for you guys to snark on each other because you guys are just sooooo freakin' funny (why do you think I don't show up here all that often? It's way too much comedy for me), but some people do come on here because they do care about Al or these campaigns. I know that doesn't exactly jive with your lazy, cynical attitude (or whatever your whiny "act" is supposed to be), and you no doubt feel that you're trying to "keep it real" and therefore you're better than the rest of us silly fans wasting our time and blowing our money...but you know, if you honestly think that after six years of this campaign chugging along nicely that your quick, ill-informed comment on a free message board is going to make everyone say, "Yeah, you know, he's right! Let's pull the plug on this whole thing!", well, that says a lot about your ego then, doesn't it?

Here are the facts: Six years ago this campaign was a joke. It probably still is in a number of circles, but we're gaining momentum where it counts. Do you honestly think Al would have topped "Rolling Stone's" readers poll six years ago? "Rolling Stone" polls are historically the most corrupt, ballot-stuffed, industry-friendly "tools" in music, and we were able to punch a hole through all that. Meanwhile, the idea of being inducted has been invoked by reporters in almost, I don't know, every fifth interview with Al. The concept is gaining credibility. This wouldn't have happened if not for this campaign.

I am extremely proud of the fans who have helped out with this "futile little effort." Not even everyone on this forum has contributed, and not because they're all trying to "keep it real" or whatever. It's because it's easier and lazier not to. It's easy to poke one's head into a thread they've rarely, if ever, posted in before, make some off-the-cuff comment about the plight of Africans, and then go on their merry, hateful way. And the fact that I am actually taking time away from filming and editing the documentary to respond to such nonsense probably says something about me, but on this quickly crumbling forum, it seems as if no response equals agreement...everyone then adds their stupid little "BEST POST EVER," "QFT," praise of St. Huggins, or whatever, and then that's that. I'm less concerned about morals than I am about morale.

Well, I hate to tell you this, if you are in fact choosing between helping starving Africans and sending a letter, that's sad for you, man. Most people wouldn't consider that a choice, as most adults can usually multitask and most don't usually need to attach horrendous consequences onto either act. If your brain can only handle one thing, though, you have my sympathy. There are people on here with steady jobs, families, side projects, artistic pursuits, community activities, volunteer jobs, and other life events, and they seem to have no problem finding time to do something fun for a singer they like...something that might just get him an honor that many feel he deserves. I have never, NEVER, urged people to choose between living their life and helping out with this campaign, and I seriously doubt anyone's ever inferred otherwise. If you do actually have a problem with people working on a fun little project that they enjoy doing, I don't know what I could tell you. Do a Google search for a therapist, I don't know. Other people's enjoyment shouldn't be a source of frustration, and nobody's twisting your arm to help...you certainly haven't so far.

But you know, it doesn't matter what I say. This is unfortunately just adding fuel to the fire. This recent discussion isn't about Al. It's isn't about the Rock Hall. It's not about the campaign. It's about a couple of curmudgeons who are just looking to hate on a forum that's otherwise about as harmless as can be. I don't know what prompted it. Maybe not enough people applauded someone's post or answered a question elsewhere. Maybe it's just this campaign's "turn" to attract the venom of people with clearly more time on their hands than I do. It's moral superiority on the lamest and nerdiest level.

And guess what? The campaign isn't ending because of it, so nyah. This campaign won't end until Al gets inducted...or at the very least until I am convinced that we have exhausted every single last resource to try to make that happen. I am so not there yet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a documentary to finish. For those of you who do care, don't forget to send your spatula and that we still need people to contact members of the nominating committee. We've got a number of key members already covered, so just look over the list about a page back or so to see if there's anyone you would like to write to directly.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Great, now I have this song stuck in my head
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

CatraDhtem wrote:I know you're trying to uphold your stupid little "gadfly" role, but there's a difference between being a gadfly and being a d*ckhead. Guess which one you've been lately.

Tell you what, group of recent haters, considering I don't have any indication that any of you have done a single solitary thing for either campaign (or for starving African kids, for that matter, to use the glib example), maybe you guys should DO something first and THEN I'll be happy to entertain any arguments about these being futile efforts. I know this whole forum has become little more than a playground for you guys to snark on each other because you guys are just sooooo freakin' funny (why do you think I don't show up here all that often? It's way too much comedy for me), but some people do come on here because they do care about Al or these campaigns. I know that doesn't exactly jive with your lazy, cynical attitude (or whatever your whiny "act" is supposed to be), and you no doubt feel that you're trying to "keep it real" and therefore you're better than the rest of us silly fans wasting our time and blowing our money...but you know, if you honestly think that after six years of this campaign chugging along nicely that your quick, ill-informed comment on a free message board is going to make everyone say, "Yeah, you know, he's right! Let's pull the plug on this whole thing!", well, that says a lot about your ego then, doesn't it?

Here are the facts: Six years ago this campaign was a joke. It probably still is in a number of circles, but we're gaining momentum where it counts. Do you honestly think Al would have topped "Rolling Stone's" readers poll six years ago? "Rolling Stone" polls are historically the most corrupt, ballot-stuffed, industry-friendly "tools" in music, and we were able to punch a hole through all that. Meanwhile, the idea of being inducted has been invoked by reporters in almost, I don't know, every fifth interview with Al. The concept is gaining credibility. This wouldn't have happened if not for this campaign.

I am extremely proud of the fans who have helped out with this "futile little effort." Not even everyone on this forum has contributed, and not because they're all trying to "keep it real" or whatever. It's because it's easier and lazier not to. It's easy to poke one's head into a thread they've rarely, if ever, posted in before, make some off-the-cuff comment about the plight of Africans, and then go on their merry, hateful way. And the fact that I am actually taking time away from filming and editing the documentary to respond to such nonsense probably says something about me, but on this quickly crumbling forum, it seems as if no response equals agreement...everyone then adds their stupid little "BEST POST EVER," "QFT," praise of St. Huggins, or whatever, and then that's that. I'm less concerned about morals than I am about morale.

Well, I hate to tell you this, if you are in fact choosing between helping starving Africans and sending a letter, that's sad for you, man. Most people wouldn't consider that a choice, as most adults can usually multitask and most don't usually need to attach horrendous consequences onto either act. If your brain can only handle one thing, though, you have my sympathy. There are people on here with steady jobs, families, side projects, artistic pursuits, community activities, volunteer jobs, and other life events, and they seem to have no problem finding time to do something fun for a singer they like...something that might just get him an honor that many feel he deserves. I have never, NEVER, urged people to choose between living their life and helping out with this campaign, and I seriously doubt anyone's ever inferred otherwise. If you do actually have a problem with people working on a fun little project that they enjoy doing, I don't know what I could tell you. Do a Google search for a therapist, I don't know. Other people's enjoyment shouldn't be a source of frustration, and nobody's twisting your arm to help...you certainly haven't so far.

But you know, it doesn't matter what I say. This is unfortunately just adding fuel to the fire. This recent discussion isn't about Al. It's isn't about the Rock Hall. It's not about the campaign. It's about a couple of curmudgeons who are just looking to hate on a forum that's otherwise about as harmless as can be. I don't know what prompted it. Maybe not enough people applauded someone's post or answered a question elsewhere. Maybe it's just this campaign's "turn" to attract the venom of people with clearly more time on their hands than I do. It's moral superiority on the lamest and nerdiest level.

And guess what? The campaign isn't ending because of it, so nyah. This campaign won't end until Al gets inducted...or at the very least until I am convinced that we have exhausted every single last resource to try to make that happen. I am so not there yet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a documentary to finish. For those of you who do care, don't forget to send your spatula and that we still need people to contact members of the nominating committee. We've got a number of key members already covered, so just look over the list about a page back or so to see if there's anyone you would like to write to directly.
I'm not looking so much to start a 'war' or anything, and I don't know if you mean me in some of the comments you've made.

The statements I made wasn't made in an effort to say it's 'futile'. They really weren't. And, as I said in my last post, I really would like to see Al gain some credibilty by being inducted. I think I was saying that Al's kinda above the Hall in a way. I know he'd love to be in there, and I know he appreciates the effort that's been put forth, but if the Hall hasn't nominated him yet, I wouldn't hold my breath. There's plenty of acts who haven't been nominated or inducted yet that deserve it, and Al's one of them. I mentioned that he has influenced people and was one of the artists who helped launch MTV, along with acts like Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, and a few notable others. A lot of musicians stated that they'd rush home to see who he'd parody next, and that they felt they 'made' it, cause he parodied them. But, with the notable exception of Frank Zappa (who's done serious music as well), no other COMEDY act has been inducted that I know of, regardless of success they've had in music/radio. And, like stated, if they're gonna induct Al, then pioneers like Stan Freberg and Spike Jones and Tom Lehrer should be inducted first, and possibly Ray Stevens, as they've all helped establish novelty music as a form of music, that led to Dr. Demento, in turn Al.

I would've donated, as I support the cause, but I don't have much in the way of monetary support. My mom's out of work now, and my sole income is supporting us, so I can't donate much beyond moral support and a quick "Hey, I hope it works out." Again, I do hope he gets in, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I hope you prove me wrong.

Well, actually, the way I word this, makes it sound like it's futile. Is it? Who knows? I'm sure it's slowly changing their minds. The fact that it's gained press and has made magazines aware enough so that interviewers ask Al in interviews about it, I'm sure someone at the Hall knows there's enough fan support. You mentioned sending letters or something? What could I do on that front? From what I read about the Hall, their main concern when it comes to inductions is fan turnout for the big dinner/concert they have and how much they'd make in the way of money if fans were to buy tickets. I haven't been in this thread since the beginning, so anything you could tell me so I could make an effort of some sorts outside of the money issue would be nice.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Make The Rock Hall Weird 2.0

Post by minnick27 »

Very much disagree with you. First off Frank Zappa is nowhere near a comedy act. Yes many of his songs were humorous, but over a 60 album plus career it is only a small fraction of his output. And you can induct one person without putting in influences. Yes Tom Lehrer is an influence on comedy musicians, but is virtually unknown outside that circle. Al on the other hand is known by virtually everyone
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

minnick27 wrote:Very much disagree with you. First off Frank Zappa is nowhere near a comedy act. Yes many of his songs were humorous, but over a 60 album plus career it is only a small fraction of his output. And you can induct one person without putting in influences. Yes Tom Lehrer is an influence on comedy musicians, but is virtually unknown outside that circle. Al on the other hand is known by virtually everyone
I wasn't saying Zappa was a comedy act, so much. I know he's had a lot of serious material. I have a lot of his albums, but I was saying that he's a musican who happens to have quite a few comedy things out and he got in.

I'm saying, from the Hall's perspective and things I've read online, their criteria seems a bit warped, at least to me. Saying, to me, it seems they'd be likely to induct say, Spike Jones first, then Al. I remember an incident a couple years back when they went to induct/announced as a nominee the Beastie Boys, but hadn't yet, at that point, inducted I believe Grandmaster Flash or Run DMC, who were influences of sorts on the Beasties. But now said groups are in, so the Beasties are in.

Someone said that the Beastie Boys were ineligible for induction, as their first album came out in '87, yet, their first recordings were around in '80. And, even then, they were a ROCK group, not a RAP group. By '87, they were fans of Run DMC and started doing rap. Hence, what I was saying in terms of influences, etc. But like you said, that doesn't always matter in these situations. That was where I was coming from, though.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

1) The Beastie Boys are not in.
2) If any comedy artist gets in it will be Al. Yes, before Spike Jones. :rolleyes:
3) Any artist can get into the Rock Hall. It does not matter if their influences are inducted already.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.