Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of "Weird Al" Yankovic

Moderator: Moderators

Heds
Obsessed

Re: Squeeze Box - compleat Al box set coming November 24, 20

Post by Heds »

TMBJon wrote:
weird_el wrote:Got mine :D there's a Grammy for packaging, this should win in 2019 :D
I was thinking the same thing this morning as this year's nominees came out. How could Al not win next year? Should at least get a nomination.
JoCo got nominated for packaging with Solid State this year, would be lovely to see Al and whoever designed the Squeeze Box packaging get one in 2019!!!
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Weird Al Yankovic debuts at 185 with Squeeze Box: The Complete Works of Weird Al Yankovic, the massive new box set with all of his releases over the years. It is also the number 1 Comedy Album.
Cool! Congratulations Al! :accordion:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
8-Track Mind

Post by 8-Track Mind »

I have to wait till Christmas to open mine so I wanna know if the alternative mixes/versions are still on Poodle Hat like on the original release.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

They are not. Sorry to disappoint.
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Hey all, I've been waiting to have some time to myself to blast these new remasters at home, and now that I'm off from work I am listening through. They sound amazing, and I'll give more complete thoughts once I make my way through every album. Listening to Good Enough For Now right now. :inlove:

My main question: Did other people feel like Dare To Be Stupid was more or less not remastered, or at least barely touched? If there were any improvements, they were very minor. I couldn't tell if I was hearing something different or if it was just the fact that I've mostly been listening to an mp3 version of it for the past 15 years. However, on the other early albums, I can hear serious improvements so I am inclined to think it was something with the process. Maybe the DTBS masters did not survive as well as the other albums? Based on the videos posted showing the process of remastering they were going through, it's hard to imagine they didn't notice this too.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
captdeemo

Post by captdeemo »

I feel like an idiot that I never knew about the hidden track on off the deep end.
imthewalrus79

Post by imthewalrus79 »

captdeemo wrote:I feel like an idiot that I never knew about the hidden track on off the deep end.
I still remember how I first found out about it. I had put on the CD while working on cleaning around the house. I had gotten into my cleaning and never went to put on another disc once "You Don't Love Me Anymore" ended. Next thing I know, I'm hearing this cacophony of noise. It scared the heck out of me!
TMBJon wrote:Hey all, I've been waiting to have some time to myself to blast these new remasters at home, and now that I'm off from work I am listening through. They sound amazing, and I'll give more complete thoughts once I make my way through every album. Listening to Good Enough For Now right now. :inlove:

My main question: Did other people feel like Dare To Be Stupid was more or less not remastered, or at least barely touched? If there were any improvements, they were very minor. I couldn't tell if I was hearing something different or if it was just the fact that I've mostly been listening to an mp3 version of it for the past 15 years. However, on the other early albums, I can hear serious improvements so I am inclined to think it was something with the process. Maybe the DTBS masters did not survive as well as the other albums? Based on the videos posted showing the process of remastering they were going through, it's hard to imagine they didn't notice this too.
I felt the same. I even pulled out my 1990 Scotti Brothers/Rock 'n' Roll Records CD to compare with the remaster. I think the earlier CD actually sounds better than the remaster at points. It's the only title in the whole set that I can say that about. I'll have to give a listen to the LP version at some point and see how that compares to the 1985 pressing. But it does make me wonder if the DTBS tapes aren't in as good a condition as the other albums.
ajv2001
Occasional

Post by ajv2001 »

I'm wishing I bought the CD version...
After converting all the Vinyls to WAV format, I notice little to no remastering vs my original CDs that I've purchased over the years.
Anyone else notice this w Vinyl vs classic CD?
5/13/12-Waterbury, CT
10/6/13-Northampton, MA
6/6/15-Mashantucket, CT 8PM
7/30/15-Port Chester, NY
9/18/16-Waterbury, CT
9/16/17-Providence, RI [UHF]
3/2/18-Mashantucket, CT
3/4/18-Boston, MA
~Strings Attached '19~
yankovic.weebly.com
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I have not converted the vinyls to WAV, just listened on my record player, but I definitely hear a big difference in nearly all of the albums. Only Dare To Be Stupid so far has had basically no improvement. (I've heard everything through Bad Hair Day so far).
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ajv2001
Occasional

Post by ajv2001 »

TMBJon wrote:I have not converted the vinyls to WAV, just listened on my record player, but I definitely hear a big difference in nearly all of the albums. Only Dare To Be Stupid so far has had basically no improvement. (I've heard everything through Bad Hair Day so far).
There are some slight improvements I notice, unless it is my soundcard on my laptop that isn't the best, or even my turntable.
I decided to part with 1 of my 2 vinyl copies on eBay and use the money to purchase a CD copy (probably also through eBay).
5/13/12-Waterbury, CT
10/6/13-Northampton, MA
6/6/15-Mashantucket, CT 8PM
7/30/15-Port Chester, NY
9/18/16-Waterbury, CT
9/16/17-Providence, RI [UHF]
3/2/18-Mashantucket, CT
3/4/18-Boston, MA
~Strings Attached '19~
yankovic.weebly.com