Medium Rarities

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by Elvis »

The track list is not what I was expecting, but I'm happy with it. The video for the reveal is cute, so if you are on the updates emails, check it out.

The first 11 (except #4) are no-brainers. I was actually expecting more demo versions and alternate takes and such (as found on Dr. Demento's Basement Tapes series, and B-sides, bonus CD content, etc.) to be included, but glad they are not. Selfishly, I already have them in my collection, so they wouldn't have excited me much to be included. I would have like to seen a few actual unreleased demos and early songs submitted to Dr. Demento and such, but understand Al's reason for not including them -- historically important, but not his greatest work in both content and sound-quality, and re-recording them would lose their charm.

The first big surprise for me was "Dr. Demento Jingle" which makes sense historically, but is so short I never even thought it to be in consideration. "Lousy Haircut" also a surprise since it's short and funnier in context with the video, though the video was included on 'Weird Al' Yankovic: The Ultimate Video Collection DVD and shown for years in concert, so it's obviously something Al is proud of.

I wonder if "Homer And Marge" is the same full version as on The Simpsons: Testify which includes the end credit version, or just the part from the show proper? "The Brain Song" will be nice to have as the only legit way to hear it is to go to a fair that's showing Al's Brain and that hasn't happened since 2010. "Sir Isaac Newton Vs. Bill Nye" is another one I think Al is proud of so surprised but happy to see that.

"Happy Birthday (New Version)" is the only truly new track, so nice to have one, and anxious to hear that of course! A bit heavy on the songs from TV shows near the end, but "Super Duper Party Pony", "Hey, Hey, We're The Monks", "Comedy Bang! Bang! Theme" and "It's My World (And We're Living In It)" are all solid choices.

Not sure I would have included "30 Rock Theme Parody". Would rather have seen that swapped out for a duet of either Al and Frankie Yankovic on "Who Stole The Kishka" or with Richard Belzer on "Cut The Grief". Also missing is a cover song like "Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two)" or "Handle With Care" and somehow "Babalu Music" should have been in there. Easily could replace one or both of the instrumental/karaoke track(s) for any one of those.

Not familiar with "Let The Pun Fit The Crime" so I withhold comment on that, but an expedition to track that down is in my very immediate future!

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

Color me a bit disappointed as well, would have loved to see more Pre-First Album Dr Demento material, and a lot less modern stuff recorded for TV shows I don't care about. Most of this stuff can easily be pulled up in Youtube as well. Oh well, it's still good regardless.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have remastered recordings of all these songs, but I was expecting a little bit more for the "hardcore fans" (aka a lot of things that aren't readily available online). Oh well, still a nice touch to the box set.

And I second the question of "What is track number 23?"
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
RyRyTheJewishGuy
Occasional

Post by RyRyTheJewishGuy »

I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get his version of the Conan theme. I love how it builds and gets crazier and crazier.

I would have bet money Belvedere Crusin' was going to be on there.

Overall I'm pleased with the track list. It does a great job of covering his entire career.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Meh. Very happy to have Happy Birthday, but the rest is just not that appealing because I have them all which is something I expected anyway. And is the Dr Demento jingle longer than what has been played for 40 years on his show?

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

bermuda wrote:it's not an Al song and was done with different players.
This rules out my theory that it was going to be Bite Me.
While we're on the subject, Bermuda, do you know if Bite Me will be included on Off The Deep End?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

So exciting to know The Brain Song will finally be out there!!
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

The fact that it "will be available elsewhere at some point" makes it sound like we haven't heard it yet. Something that hasn't aired/been released as of now.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Wait, why the heck are there only 23? This was the perfect opportunity for a 27 track album

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
The Doctor
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by The Doctor »

It makes sense that most of us would have an initial "disappointed" feeling regarding the tracklist, as it's mostly all stuff that we'd be very familiar with.
However, since most of it are things that have never been widely available, it'll be the first "legit" way of obtaining some of these songs.

And everyone should be able to enjoy Jurashiku Park. That is a true masterpiece.
Silence will fall.