Medium Rarities

Moderator: Moderators

stardrop
Occasional

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by stardrop »

I love the announcing video. I wonder if there has been a game featuring Al. The world needs one.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

There's a few things announced that I either wasn't aware of or only vaguely aware of. Like many of the songs from recent television appearances (though I had known about him being on some of those shows). I can't believe I forgot about the rap battle or "We're the Monks".

After seeing "Dr. Demento Jingle", which I don't think I knew about, I suddenly remembered that I read he entered a contest to do a new Dr. Demento Theme Song. I'm assuming this isn't that (otherwise, it would have been placed sooner on the track list).
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

weird user wrote:After seeing "Dr. Demento Jingle", which I don't think I knew about, I suddenly remembered that I read he entered a contest to do a new Dr. Demento Theme Song. I'm assuming this isn't that (otherwise, it would have been placed sooner on the track list).
The contest was for a new version of Pico & Sepulveda, back in 1973. The jingle/promo was a little something still heard on the show, but not anywhere as clean as the upcoming release - it's a fresh mix of my files taken straight from the 1981 master. Demento's copy was never this clear! :)

Bermuda
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Regarding the Comedy Bang! Bang! Theme, I'm really surprised that's being included because, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember Al saying on the podcast Comedy Bang Bang that all he did on that was take the audio track that Reggie Watts made and remove the vocals and replace them with his own.
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

eleventhirtyfour wrote:Regarding the Comedy Bang! Bang! Theme, I'm really surprised that's being included because, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember Al saying on the podcast Comedy Bang Bang that all he did on that was take the audio track that Reggie Watts made and remove the vocals and replace them with his own.
Well, to be fair, that is basically the case for most of his TV appearances. The show writers make the song, he just shows up to sing it.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Muppetboy09 wrote:
eleventhirtyfour wrote:Regarding the Comedy Bang! Bang! Theme, I'm really surprised that's being included because, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember Al saying on the podcast Comedy Bang Bang that all he did on that was take the audio track that Reggie Watts made and remove the vocals and replace them with his own.
Well, to be fair, that is basically the case for most of his TV appearances. The show writers make the song, he just shows up to sing it.
Right, and while I already thought it was weird to include any of those songs because they aren't written by Al, it's even weirder to include Comedy Bang Bang. Because that's a song that was already made and performed by a different person. Al is just basically doing karaoke of the theme over the theme when you think about it. It would be like if some other person did an episode of 30 Rock and performed that funny version of the theme and then Al came on like 27 episodes later and performed the exact same theme.
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
JPK

Post by JPK »

Just for fun, I conceptualized a supplement to medium rarities, containing the songs that Al was denied permission to include. and those that have been commercially released but not included. So that would be:
Polkamon
You're Pitiful
Callin' in Sick (instrumental)
UHF (Single Version)
School Cafeteria (Single Version)
Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung (Placebo EP)
Gotta Boogie (Placebo EP)
Happy Birthday (Placebo EP)
Spy Hard (Instrumental)
Spy Hard (Orchestral Mix)
Christmas at Ground Zero (Alternate Mix)
I Lost on Jeopardy (Extended)
Eat It (Karaoke)

Coincidentally, these 13, when combined with the 164 songs from his album, and the 23 from medium rarities, it adds up to a nice round 200 total. Of course these don't include songs from the basement tapes, which would put the total at 208 I believe.
Last edited by JPK on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Youtube

*blasts in from outer space*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OKAY ok omg SO
I just watched the Medium Rarities video FINALLY omg I'm so behind
And basically I screamed so much that my boyfriend had to come check and see if I was okay
Then I made him watch the video and he was like oh it's Al ok
But HOLY COW YOU GUYS

Is anyone as smurfin' PSYCHED for Al's Brain as I AM?!??!?!?!!?
THIS IS ALL I EVER WANTED
Omg everything from 2009 until now I am just flipPED OUTTA MY MIND ABOUT YOU GUYS OMIGOD

fffffffffffffffffRICK

I'm so jazzed. Very excited for this. Omg. All the newer stuff??? You kidding me?!???? And that VIDEO THO

Has anyone talked about that video because that thing was so smurfin' clever

UGH

I love Weird Al

It's good to be back for a second
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
shoedogg
Occasional

Post by shoedogg »

So apparently Al has inspired the frighteningly named metal band Cattle Decapitation....

Warning! The album artwork is not for the weak of heart.

https://www.metalblade.com/us/news/catt ... -rarities/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

The guitarist of the band actually told me that at one of their shows in Baltimore in 2010. You would be surprised how often metallers will bring up Al's name at shows. Everybody knows who he is and so many have grown up to his music before they found their own musical direction. Highly influential in all forms of music this band, all of them.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!