Medium Rarities

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Posts: 20486
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:24 pm
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Contact:

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by TMBJon »

Al confirmed to me on Saturday night that, unfortunately, Polkamon will not be on Medium Rarities. He said that due to the success of Pokemon Go, they were not licensing anything that relates to Pokemon right now, so it was really just a bit of unfortunate timing. The good news is that he said other than Polkamon, everything he tried to clear, he got the rights to release. And we should expect the tracklist today or tomorrow.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.

User avatar
coltsmetsfan614
Occasional
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:20 am

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by coltsmetsfan614 »

TMBJon wrote:Al confirmed to me on Saturday night that, unfortunately, Polkamon will not be on Medium Rarities. He said that due to the success of Pokemon Go, they were not licensing anything that relates to Pokemon right now, so it was really just a bit of unfortunate timing. The good news is that he said other than Polkamon, everything he tried to clear, he got the rights to release. And we should expect the tracklist today or tomorrow.
I'm not entirely surprised about missing out on Polkamon, and it is a little bit disappointing, but I'll manage. I'm more interested in that part about him getting permission for everything else he tried to clear. Is it your understanding that this isn't counting You're Pitiful? I thought I'd heard that was again turned down for that several months ago (per Bermuda, maybe?). I'd be happy to be incorrect about that, as I love the song!

User avatar
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:22 am

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by Killingsworth »

coltsmetsfan614 wrote:I'm not entirely surprised about missing out on Polkamon, and it is a little bit disappointing, but I'll manage. I'm more interested in that part about him getting permission for everything else he tried to clear. Is it your understanding that this isn't counting You're Pitiful? I thought I'd heard that was again turned down for that several months ago (per Bermuda, maybe?). I'd be happy to be incorrect about that, as I love the song!
Al posted on weirdal.com a while ago that they were denied permission once again to release You're Pitiful by eitherror James Blunt, Atlantic Records or both. So, you're correct that You're Pitiful doesn't count and won't be included.

It's nice to hear that the track list will be coming out so soon (hopefully within a weeks' time) but it's looking more and more like Al may not have been planning to release any brand new songs on Medium Rarities (if he hasn't quietly recorded one already).

...and with the possible release of the actual Medium Rarities track list looming, I'd like to take one last stab at predicting it before it actually comes out. This is based on new information that has been leaked or reported and as Al previously said, this will be in chronological order. Here we go.

1. Take Me Down
2. My Bologna (Capitol Records Single)
3. School Cafeteria
4. Happy Birthday (Placebo EP)
5. Mr. Frump In The Iron Lung (Placebo EP)
6. Gotta Boogie (Placebo EP)
7. It's Still Billy Joel To Me
8. Pac Man
9. Eat It (Karaoke Version)
10. Dare To Be Stupid (Instrumental)
11. UHF (Single Version)
12. Jurashiku Park
13. Headline News
14. The Night Santa Went Crazy (extra gory version)
15. Since You've Been Gone (Karaoke Version)
16. The Alternative Polka (Weezer Buddy Holly edit)
17. Spy Hard
18. (possible Running With Scissors/Poodle Hat instrumental)
19. Al's Brain/Brain Song
20. Happy Birthday (rerecorded for new movie)

Yeah, I'm not sure what songs we're supposed just "go nuts over" from this list either but hopefully Al will throw some real curveball at us and some previously unheard/unreleased songs will pop up out of left field to be included.
Last edited by Killingsworth on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...

User avatar
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 pm
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)
Contact:

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by Muppetboy09 »

That is actually a pretty solid guess. Yeah, I am really hoping that there is at least one "WOW" factor song that is in the track listing, one that nobody saw coming. Even if there isn't, I am still excited. So, track listing drops today, correct?
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic

User avatar
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End
Posts: 2908
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:22 am

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by Killingsworth »

Muppetboy09 wrote:That is actually a pretty solid guess. Yeah, I am really hoping that there is at least one "WOW" factor song that is in the track listing, one that nobody saw coming. Even if there isn't, I am still excited. So, track listing drops today, correct?
Apparently not, it would seem...
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...

User avatar
coltsmetsfan614
Occasional
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:20 am

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by coltsmetsfan614 »

Hopefully it's because he's adding some awesome, last-minute tracks to "WOW" us — not because he's having some kind of problem... :?
Here's hoping it's been announced by the time I wake up tomorrow :great:

User avatar
Elvis
Be jealous.
Posts: 16296
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:00 am
Awards: Best Admin
Location: Palace of Wisdom
Contact:

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by Elvis »

"Polkamon" deserves to be on anything billed as the complete works of Weird Al, but it's not rare. It's pretty easy to find, just track down a copy of the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!

User avatar
CB Johnny
Addicted
Posts: 566
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:11 am

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by CB Johnny »

My response is to just put You're Pitiful, Polkamon, and Medium Rarities' tracks together into a playlist.

Medium Rarities: Chef's Cut. :pentiums:

User avatar
joseyklein
Obsessed
Posts: 1655
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Sultan, WA

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by joseyklein »

Any word on the tracklist yet?

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..

bizarreblair
Occasional
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:40 pm
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by bizarreblair »

Elvis wrote:"Polkamon" deserves to be on anything billed as the complete works of Weird Al, but it's not rare. It's pretty easy to find, just track down a copy of the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack.

Dave
Agree! Anything you are hoping for, Dave? I'm curious. I would imagine you have everything that's "out there". Is there even something you have that you would like to have in a "cleaned up" releasable format?

Post Reply