50%
Other (please post!)
6%

Total votes: 18

anthontherun
Be jealous.

How are you prepping for Squeeze Box?

Post by anthontherun »

A lot of times when an artist announces a reissue of something, I'll put a temporary moratorium on listening to it so that when the new version comes out, I can listen with more critical ears or just have it feel "fresher." But in the case of Squeeze Box, that presents a couple problems:
-The release date is still 8 months away, and I probably won't have my hands on it for a few weeks after that.
-This set encompasses Al's entire discography. It'd be easy enough to cut out a single album but to not listen to any Al for an extended period? That's unpossible.
-Most of these songs are pretty much ingrained into my brain already. At this point I could go years without listening to "Amish Paradise" and by the time I return to it when it's eventually played at my wedding, it would still be quite familiar.

Knowing me I'll probably cut Al out of my audio diet as the release date approaches. It will make listening to Squeeze Box more exciting if I've been in an Al drought for a month or two. But even then, I may play a handful of songs because of reason #3 above (I sometimes make this exception with Paul McCartney reissues).

How about you? Any plans to change your listening habits as we get ready for Squeeze Box?

(Note to self: when SB comes out, do a poll of how people plan to listen to it--slowly going through the albums, devouring it all in one day, chronological, by preference, etc.)
joseyklein
Obsessed

Re: How are you prepping for Squeeze Box?

Post by joseyklein »

I've been listening to AL even more since pre-ordering. . There will be a difference in sound no matter when I finally do get it.. especially when it comes the the older albums.. they're pretty compressed and quiet, it'll be nice finally having them all on the same level

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
weirdalbum

Post by weirdalbum »

My Al listening hasn't changed much since ponying up for the box. His music is still my go-to playlist in the car if I've burned through all my podcasts in the queue. Besides, we're still a long ways away from the actual release date.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I'm gonna do non-stop stomach crunches... and listen to Al music a bit more until the release.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I sold all of my internal organs, my house, and am currently asking for change on the corner of 5th street. On the bright side, I now have enough money to pay for 1/3 of the boxset
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Muppetboy09 wrote:I sold all of my internal organs, my house, and am currently asking for change on the corner of 5th street. On the bright side, I now have enough money to pay for 1/3 of the boxset
How badly have you abused your body that selling your organs netted you like 75 bucks
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I'm definitely planning on cutting Al out of my musical diet so to speak. I just have to decide when my cutoff will be. I don't think I'll make it now, but maybe a month or so before release? Curious to see what others are considering here, and I'll most likely let that lead to helping my decision.

I'm also thinking of doing a "re-review" of Al's catalog once the set is released - reviewing each album, and rating each song, with notes about what I think of the song now vs. what I did when I first heard it. There probably won't be as many changes with Mandatory Fun or Alpocalypse, but there are definitely differences in what I think of the songs I knew back in 3rd grade.
And Peggy
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Big Spoon wrote:I'm definitely planning on cutting Al out of my musical diet so to speak. I just have to decide when my cutoff will be. I don't think I'll make it now, but maybe a month or so before release? Curious to see what others are considering here, and I'll most likely let that lead to helping my decision.
That's the big question. I'm also debating whether I just gradually listen less often, or if it's better to (temporarily) quit cold turkey. I'm leaning towards the latter, since it would be more noticeable and do more to get me pumped for Squeeze Box.
I'm also thinking of doing a "re-review" of Al's catalog once the set is released - reviewing each album, and rating each song, with notes about what I think of the song now vs. what I did when I first heard it. There probably won't be as many changes with Mandatory Fun or Alpocalypse, but there are definitely differences in what I think of the songs I knew back in 3rd grade.
That's a great idea. I know there are definitely songs on In 3-D and Even Worse (and maybe some others) that I really don't know all that well so I'll be interested in revisiting them and seeing if, after all these years, I can finally appreciate "That Boy Could Dance."
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

anthontherun wrote:That's a great idea. I know there are definitely songs on In 3-D and Even Worse (and maybe some others) that I really don't know all that well so I'll be interested in revisiting them and seeing if, after all these years, I can finally appreciate "That Boy Could Dance."
Thanks! There are a few that pop into my mind I didn't really appreciate as a kid that I do now (I used to not be a big Airline Amy fan, and now it's probably in my top 10 favorite songs of Al's), and I'm sure taking a hiatus from Al will help me appreciate the few songs of his that I still don't ("That Boy Could Dance," also being on my list.)
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

These songs are so deeply engrained in my brain that I don't think I need to cut them out of my diet. In fact, I was thinking of going the other way - listening to a few of the vinyl albums shortly before the box set arrives so that I can compare their sonic quality to the remastered versions.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.