Squeeze Box reviews

Moderator: Moderators

stardrop
Occasional

Re: Squeeze Box reviews

Post by stardrop »

Speaking of the the “upside down” bass button, it seems it's so because Al's accordion has the key upside down. :accordion:

The designer's post:
https://twitter.com/aniistoll/status/936235890896265216" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
been seeing fans ask about the “upside down” BASS key-yes that is correct- we painstaking researched through photos from Bermuda to replicate Al’s specific accordion which had that very upside down key.

And a reference image:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KEYBOARD-MAGAZI ... 2136105846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That is an amazing magazine cover! Al looking metal!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Yeah, thanks for that tweet and info about the 'misprint'. Very cool!

I've had that issue of Keyboard magazine since it came out. Here's a scan where I zoomed in on the buttons: https://imgur.com/fPa7Uls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

One thing I've found that with the set that I don't like - one of the few "errors" so to speak in Al's catalogue that's always bugged me is still there. I was hoping (and assumed) it would be fixed wit the remasters. In It's All About The Pentiums, there's a little "blip" at about 1:27/1:28 in. Anyone else hear it or am I just going insane?

It's not there when I watch the music video, only when I listen to it on CD or in my library.
And Peggy
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Big Spoon wrote:In It's All About The Pentiums, there's a little "blip" at about 1:27/1:28 in. Anyone else hear it or am I just going insane?
I've listened to two different versions I have, and don't hear anything unusual there.
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

Squeeze Box made it to # 185 on the Billboard 200

http://weirdal.com/archives/awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Yankovic-Gretzky wrote:Squeeze Box made it to # 185 on the Billboard 200

http://weirdal.com/archives/awards/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how Billboard works - I'm surprised that a huge expensive box set would make it - but that's great!

Also, I eventually listened through all my Squeeze Box vinyl. I'm happy with the pressing! (I had to spin the backmasking parts backward.) There was a bit of surface noise, but that's fairly common - especially since the albums have decent dynamic range and I had to turn up the volume a bit. Pretty sure I was getting some inner groove distortion by the end of Jackson Park Express. But, I'm still happy with the purchase. Just wish it came with the digital downloads...

Just to be sure - there aren't any known hidden tracks on the vinyl, right? (No "Bite Me", etc.?)
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

I noticed a strange issue in Midnight Star during the “incredible frog boy” line. Something about the panning/soundstage changes. Nothing too serious, but it wasn’t there in the original release. Still really enjoying the remasters.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Loving the remasters as well, but noticed the old albums are still a bit too quiet... but they sound great still

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Still waiting for someone to post more pics from the book! It would be cool if the book and rarities disc were available together without the box set, at show and stuff. Never been big into remasters, always love to hear music as close to the original sound as possible, just me. Would totally buy a book/rarities disc package though. I bet I would have went for it all if they didn't announce the upcoming tour though, can't buy it all.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!