Requests for Originals

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

SophieT
Occasional

Re: Requests for Originals

Post by SophieT »

Thanks to Nathan Rabin's, World Accordion to Al, I've been shaken out of daily need to listen to Generic Blues, to help me cope with my own blues over the infamous 2018's.
Golly, I now need to hear Al sing My Baby's in Love With Eddie Vedder!!!!!

The Zydeco accordion alone will fill my tortured heart with joy. :accordion:

And BTW, I'd like to make it clear, that in my opinion, Al's good looks make Eddy Vedder look like a big fat slobbering pig. :inlove:
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I agree whole heartedly. Eddie's a mumbly mumbler too.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

On my top 10 list is Mission Statement. :inlove:

I get the feeling that Al doesn't know just how much people who love it, love it. The harmonies are so beautiful and it just feels so hopeful. :flower:
I love the way he punctures the pomposity of Corporate America.

I don't know if he can perform this, but if he can, what a showcase for his bands singing abilities.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

They...they can do pretty much any of the originals if they WANT too. Question is, what will they feel they want to do and what will work best in the sets. If they wanted to do a specific song, like Pancreas, they could do it. You can do a ton of stuff with two keyboards and I think we will be quite surprised at what they do and how well they do it!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I feel like they are limited to a certain extent without backing tracks. For example, Bermuda talked at length about how they wouldn't perform Genius in France live (even with backing tracks), because it would use too many and just not sound good.

I think that was also the case with Hardware Store. A member here said that Steve had confirmed that they "had it rehearsed" at one point, so it seemed odd that it wasn't in contention for this tour, but I am assuming they had it rehearsed with backing tracks and are unable to do it 100% live.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Muppetboy09 wrote:I think that was also the case with Hardware Store. A member here said that Steve had confirmed that they "had it rehearsed" at one point, so it seemed odd that it wasn't in contention for this tour, but I am assuming they had it rehearsed with backing tracks and are unable to do it 100% live.
Hardware Store and Genius in France immediate top contenders for a 2019/2020 tour!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That was me. Just because it was rehearsed, like I mentioned earlier does not mean they still want to put it in a show. I think they should do Genius In France or other originals without some of the backing tracks. It's like if they decide to do Mr. Popeil, I really don't think it should have the female backing tracks, Steve and Jim and Bermuda should just do what they can. For Genius In France they should just eliminate a few not so necessary effects and make it doable. Their are some wild drum rolls and fills in there but I know they could pull that off. Same with Nature Trail To Hell or any of the 3-D tracks with female vocals, they should just have Steve and Jim do what they can. It'll be awesome!!
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Yankomaniac wrote:That was me. Just because it was rehearsed, like I mentioned earlier does not mean they still want to put it in a show. I think they should do Genius In France or other originals without some of the backing tracks. It's like if they decide to do Mr. Popeil, I really don't think it should have the female backing tracks, Steve and Jim and Bermuda should just do what they can. For Genius In France they should just eliminate a few not so necessary effects and make it doable. Their are some wild drum rolls and fills in there but I know they could pull that off. Same with Nature Trail To Hell or any of the 3-D tracks with female vocals, they should just have Steve and Jim do what they can. It'll be awesome!!
Of course, I agree. And I'm sure they'll go ahead play some things even though the songs will be different due to lack of backing tracks. But, regarding Genius in France, I'm pretty sure I saw an interview where Bermuda said it was too difficult in general. On the other hand, I truly think they are all good enough musicians to pull it off if they really wanted to. Just keeping my expectations in check!
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

When I got home from work today I looked up Crosby, Stills and Nash live.
Golly, with one guitar and the three of them standing at a mic singing, amazing!

Al can do Mission Statement for sure.
But maybe he won't, because he doesn't think it's popular enough. :-(
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Oh, I haven't posted my list of favorite originals here. Here!

* Mellow When I'm Dead
* Midnight Star
* Nature Trail To Hell
* Dare To Be Stupid
* One More Minute
* Good Enough For Now
* Melanie
* Good Old Days
* You Make Me
* Generic Blues
* Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota
* You Don't Love Me Anymore