08/01/2019 - Red Rocks Amphitheater - Morrison, CO

2019 - Plus a full orchestra!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

08/01/2019 - Red Rocks Amphitheater - Morrison, CO

Post by Killingsworth »

Okay, so I just got my (relatively) cheap non-VIP ticket for this show.

Row 30 Seat 93

Anyone else going to this one? It's a pretty big venue for Al. It will only have been his second time there in 32 years.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TheToolMan
Occasional

Re: 08/01/2019 - Red Rocks Amphitheater - Morrison, CO

Post by TheToolMan »

Yes, I will be there! I'm going to the show in Indy which is very close to me. But I've always wanted to go to a show at Red Rocks and couldn't pass it up. I'll probably spend 4-5 days in Denver.
8-Track Mind

Post by 8-Track Mind »

I’ll be there. Row 27 but can’t remember the seats. We’ll be to the right.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

No brainer! This will sound AMAZING with an orchestra! The pictures of this place look so pretty. I can't wait to see it and experience it! :sheep:

Section Center, Row 16

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I'll be there coming from Utah. It's the closest one and I've got work the day after, so it'll be a shotgun trip unless I can get two weeks of vacation time coming after working all year down at Big Roy's Heating and Plumbing.
8-Track Mind

Post by 8-Track Mind »

Here at the show. Row 20 and off to the right. First show for me at Red Rocks. Hopefully we get a little rain during the day show. I’m the one in the black Weird Al Simpsons shirt.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

The Fest Of Al tailgate party before the show was sparsely attended but quite fun when it wasn't getting heavily rained on. Good thing that trading post five minutes from it sold rain ponchos.

I didn't eat an actual Twinkie Weiner Sandwich but I did meet some interesting people such as the organizers of last years Fest of Al, Jeremy "alinite27" Samples, William Czech King (who was showing off his excellent One More Minute cosplay which is somewhere on Facebok thanks to me) and an older gentleman named Frank Sanchez whose wife introduced him to me as simply "Frank From The Bank".

Anyway, "Frank From The Bank" was Al's original bass player in that he only played with Al on the Placebo EP and other such obscure Demento/pre record era songs like American Slob and Orgy On My Own. He even revealed the title of another song so obscure that no one has ever heard of it (namely because it's something Al hated so much he swore Frank to secrecy on it so I'm not even going to just post the title here) *but those curious are welcome to DM or PM me here or on social media*

Anyway, Frank said he couldn't go on the road with Al because he couldn't leave his real job as a bank manager but Al and Frank are still friends as evidenced by the fact that Frank was a special backstage VIP guest of Al's at this show.

Also, the DJ "There's An Ape For That" was giving out free vinyl records he was playing (even Al's cuts from the George Fest and Yo Gabba Gabba soundtracks). I managed to snag the Alpocalypse album as well as singles of King of Suede, I Think I'm A Clone Now and Xmas At Ground Zero.

Anyway, on my way up to the Amphitheater I stopped at the merch booth to get just a keychain and one of the new Dustin Stranger Things tshirts.

The show was great. Al's voice (and everyone's voices really when they weren't too washed out by the orchestra) sounded really great and the orchestra really enhanced all the songs.

Speaking of which, Scott O'Neill (the Colorado Symphony conductor) seemed to want to be funnier and crack more jokes during his opening warmup set than most conductors did (from what I heard). After playing the Raiders' March he joked "Raiders?! We don't need no stinking raiders! This is Broncos Country!" and took an informal applause poll of Raiders & Broncos fans in the audience as well as "Screw the NFL" Al Yankovic fans (which got the biggest reaction.

He mentioned the extreme weather conditions that complicated their rehearsal and then tried to quote "the man of steel hinself" but jokingly got his "truth, justice & the American Way" slogan mixed up with the US Post Office and FedEx slogans between "Superman" & "Mission: Impossible". Before Star Wars, he said the next piece was so iconic it needed no introduction before going right into it.

As for the show itself, it seemed like the same standard setlist and banter that all the rest of you had already seen (except with a 71 piece orchestra instead of a 41 piece one) but it still sounded great. My one and only complaint would've been that Al played YDLMA instead of OMM but then I realized that the former is much better enhanced by an orchestra than the latter. He introduced the song by saying Steve and Bermuda lett the stage because there's no bass or drums in the next number so we'll just have to make do with the other 78 people on stage.

He called for a drum solo between Word Crimes & Jurassoc Park and then for a bassoon solo between YDLMA & Tacky.

In his introduction to Twine Ball he mentioned how thrilled he was to be back at Red Rocks for the first time since they opened for The Monkees in 1987 saying "I remember it like it was just...32 years ago."

Also, I noticed he did a couple of brief Gump style high kicks during Jackson Park Express.

That's all I have to say about this show, really. I'm a little bummed out that I missed seeing Dave and Jackie in person again but hopefully they'll post something about their experiences at this show too.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Looks like Al has the full VOD from this show, and has already chosen to release Jackson Park Express. Who knows, maybe we'll get more footage from this show if there is enough demand for it!

Youtube
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

As much as I'd love to see that, I also think maybe Al just wanted to set it up so that only JPE would be recorded. I think he may have only wanted to record a fairly unique, underrated song that doesn't have a video, hasn't been in very many previous official live (video) concert recordings and would make the best possible use of a 71 piece symphony orchestra. I'm guessing if he recorded Twine Ball (or possibly Yoda or the shortened unplugged medley since those don't have music videos), he'd sooner release footage of that than anything else. He must have just wanted to get footage of something he hasn't done to death on decades worth of previous tours. Besides, if he were recording an "official" full length live special of this tour, we probably would've heard about it already before the tour even started. Plus, he'd probably record more than just the one show (and more than likely do a matinee that same night and record it as well) since he has two rotating songs in this setlist (that he already included on the home video releases of both of his previous live specials).
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Yeah, I'm not quite viewing this as a "pre-planned release", but rather he had the footage from this show, and he would maybe put it out there on YouTube if there was enough fan interest on the JPE video. I'm assuming he has the full recording, it would seem very counterintuitive to only record one song when that same camera feed is running throughout the entire show. I don't think it's likely to be released either, but more just wishful thinking
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic