VH1 Answer

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

By the way, are any of those recordings near completion? Can we expect some news to be posted soon? Has Al mentioned any parody ideas to you guys yet?

As always, I've posted all the info I possibly can at weirdal.com, please keep an eye there for the latest news.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Hey Bermuda,

How / where did Vh1 get all of those early concert videos for driven?
and is it possible for fans to get them?

Dr. Demento's Wax Museum (Washington DC) stuff was provided by me, and there might have been some other short clips from that show. But the footage with Al in the beige shirt (playing Bologna and Bus) was taken from a piece done by PM Magazine in Iowa City in early 1981. At this point, it would be almost impossible to even get hold of the segment that they aired.

Sorry...
hamsterpal

VH1 Answer

Post by hamsterpal »

...in the case of the BTM that ran before the official debut of Driven instead of after, that was a two-hour difference, not the required three hours between east/west coast listings.

True, but not everyone lives on the east or west coast. ;) The central and mountain time zone folks can experience 1-2 hour differences, and there are even some pockets of the country where DST still isn't in use, so a difference of less than 3 hours could be possible. Plus, there are more than just the four time zones in the continental USA. Alaska has its own time zone, as does Hawaii, so I'm not sure how/when viewers in those states see stuff on their cable systems. The Aleutian islands (near Alaska, for the geographically challenged) even have a time zone of their own, but there aren't any major cities like Anchorage or Honolulu there, so that particular time zone might be irrelevant if they don't get cable.

Having lived in several US time zones myself (tho' not at the same time, LOL), I missed a lot of programs till I just started calling the cable company when in doubt. Because even the local TV Guide can lead you astray, if you're in a metro area and your cable system gets a different feed than the one(s) submitting info to TV Guide. Nowadays we can use the internet to get local listings, which is cool. Go Yahoo! :)

As for Driven itself, it had some interesting audio and video clips and pictures. Joel Miller had some of the most interesting insights during BTM, and this special as well. It was nice hearing the points of view of several people who just know Al as a person, rather than just those who worked with him, as most interviews do. This could prove to be an interesting VH-1 series, if it continues in this vein...........
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I think the question was about why the order and topics of the shows were incorrect compared with VH-1's own schedule, not about the times they aired. The programming order is supposed to be the same for all time zones, regardless of when the shows actually air, so everyone should have seen the shows in the same wrong order.

As I pointed out though, Driven aired exactly when it was supposed to.
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

here might be why it got screwed up. during one of the commercial breaks in BTM, there was an ad by frosted mini wheats that said "The Video Collection is brought to you by....."

so maby somehow, they mistakenly aired BTM instead of the video collection, then at the end of driven, it said coming up next, "BTM weird al" during the credits. they may not have had the time to change that "glich" in the credits, and they figured scince they just aired BTM an hour ago, that they would just throw in a filler, which was ozzy. but i do agree that they could have aired TVC instead, but there ya go.

Look on the bright side, we got to see driven, right? And if you didn't, there is a next time.
belitcje

Post by belitcje »

There may very well be a next time to see the Driven episode but since it's going to be on a lot during the rest of the week I'm sure just about everybody who wants to see it will get to. My question as far as the messed up TV schedule goes however, as big of a fan I am of al I haven't seen too many of his music videos. When is it possible that the video collection will be on again?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

You could check the vh1.com site for their schedule, or to focus on all of Al's appearances, click the link on weirdal.com's Latest News page for musicstation.com

Wow, that weirdal.com place is pretty amazing, huh?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Yes, Jon, it is an amazing site! :thumbsup:

Patti