evil fake weird al songs misnamed by uneducated fools

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

al-aholic

Post by al-aholic »

hey there. i was just wondering what your feelings are toward songs online that are not by Al, but are credited to him. I know i see a lot of these fake Al songs when looking for legitimate stuff. I know there isn't much you can do to stop that, but i was wondering what you think of those people who simply insert Al's name into files that he has nothing to do with.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

In one sense, it's flattering that people assume that anything funny and wacky is done by Al. That certainly shows who dominates the genre! But it also slights the creators of those songs, some of whom like Bob Rivers are well-known and have been around for some time. Obviously some of the titles & subject matter are just not Al's style. It just goes to show that communities like Napster are flawed as to the information.

I think the biggest problem is that some of the fans are so misled, they actually email me asking about these songs! What's really disappointing is that they don't seem to rely on the info at weirdal.com. It's as if there would be current Al songs floating around that wouldn't be mentioned on the official site!

I'm comfortable knowing that 99.99% of the fans know that when there's a new song, the site is the first place that promotes it!

Bermuda

[ This Message was edited by: bermuda on 2001-11-27 14:25 ]
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I'm glad you addressed this question, Jon. And isn't there a site you can go to that tells you which songs aren't Als

(sorry for deleting the rest of this post, I accidentally edited it - see reply below

Bermuda)

[ This Message was edited by: bermuda on 2001-11-27 22:20 ]
whatmepolka
Occasional

Post by whatmepolka »

I, as a rule, have never visited Napster or any on line music sample source.

I fail to see how anyone benefits from them.

I find it especially disturbing that someone wanting to know more about Al, or his "style" (or any artist for that matter) could be misled by such a source.

..........Just my 27 cents....not a judgement call :smile:
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

On 2001-11-27 14:56, algonacchick wrote:
I'm glad you addressed this question, Jon. And isn't there a site you can go to that tells you which songs aren't Als

There's a site listed on the links at weirdal.com (jeez, doesn't anyone visit there anymore??) I can't vouch for it's completeness, but at least the songs listed are not Al's.

[ This Message was edited by: bermuda on 2001-11-27 22:21 ]
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

On 2001-11-27 22:20, bermuda wrote:

There's a site listed on the links at weirdal.com (jeez, doesn't anyone visit there anymore??) I can't vouch for it's completeness, but at least the songs listed are not Al's.
[ This Message was edited by: bermuda on 2001-11-27 22:21 ]

Well, I visit you site once a week :wink:

To be back ontopic. Walk thru this posting from insoft.

There's a link in it with a site that contains the titles of all NON-AL songs. Perhaps an Idea to put them on the official site (bermuda?)

edit:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~eilrahc/etc/notal.html

Direct link to the site with the non-al songs (Yeah, it's also linked on weirdal.com)

[ This Message was edited by: WHiZZi on 2001-11-27 22:37 ]
Cartunedude
Occasional

Post by Cartunedude »

On 2001-11-27 22:20, bermuda wrote:

There's a site listed on the links at weirdal.com (jeez, doesn't anyone visit there anymore??)

I do! Everyday! Really!

C-type-Bob
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

I came upon a bizarre eBay auction from Germany a while ago in which someone was offering (what I believe to be) some sort of compilation CD...the text was in German so I wasn't exactly sure. While listing the tracks, they credited a song about Napster to Al.

I have a feeling it was a CDR simply because there was no picture of a cover included or anything, but still I'm waiting for the day when one of those "various artists" compilations credit Al for something like "Fish Heads." :smile:

And since we're on the subject, the brand new 12th edition of The "Weird Al" Yankovic Songography will be e-mailed out on December 15th. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, you can see the previous version over on Elvis' web site at:

http://www.webspan.net/~dprossi/
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Perhaps an Idea to put them on the official site (bermuda?)

I don't think it's necessary to give those artists any extra credit. Also, it then becomes necessary for ME to start tracking down the non-Al songs. I think the link I have is sufficient.

I can't worry about every person out there who is misled. At some point, they have got to learn to trust the info on Al's own, official site!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Hey, I visit every day! and I was pretty sure I saw that site at weirdal.com, I just wanted to make sure! Thanks, Jon

Patti

Remember, I gave you chocolate! hehe