Performing Tracks Before Release

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Performing Tracks Before Release

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Hi, Bermuda!!! I remember a while back (sometime during the 2010 tour), somebody claimed that they overheard the band during soundcheck performing a Party in the USA parody, and then about 1 year later, we find out that there would be a parody of said song on the next album. Do you guys ever play songs during soundchecks before they are released, or was this just a person who was hearing the wrong thing? Thanks for your time!!! :whoot:
-MB
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Performing Tracks Before Release

Post by Big Spoon »

IIRC, the person later said that what they thought was a Party In The USA parody was a part of the Yoda Chant.
And Peggy
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

That was prior to the first show in Rehoboth Beach. First they said it involved Bud Lite, then they changed it to part of the Yoda Chant. I actually recall being in a group of people after a show and someone asked Bermuda this exact question, but I wont spokl the answer
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I don't recall ever dabbling in that prior to actually recording it (after the tour) and it definitely wasn't intended for the Yoda chant at any time. Besides, we don't typically rehearse parodies, especially when they're mostly programmed parts.

But there were a few times that new songs were played prior to their release. For instance, when the 2nd album was released, we'd already been on tour for a week, playing new parodies and originals. In fact, Eat It was part of the food medley long before permission was asked and it was recorded and became a single. I think Since You've Been Gone was performed prior to its release, but I don't remember for how long.

Actual performance aside, there were also times on the last few tours where we rehearsed and even recorded demos for upcoming originals in the venue we were playing that night! :)

Bermuda
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

I remember Party At The Leper Colony was played live at the Orange County Fair before Poodle Hat was released.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

That's certainly possible, we'd recorded the song shortly before a week's worth of shows there in July, 2002, our only dates that year. I guess Al wanted to present something new!

Bermuda