outside bonding

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

crazygurl14
Obsessed

outside bonding

Post by crazygurl14 »

Since Al and you guys in the band have been playing together for so many years one would assume you all are pretty tight and really close pals. How often do you guys see each other when not touring, recording, or generally working? Is everyone pretty much one big family? I remember years ago on weirdal.com seeing a picture during a poodle hat tour titled something like a bus full of uncles when Nina was along with you guys, is that pretty much what you guys are like to her?
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: outside bonding

Post by bermuda »

I'm not sure there was ever a time when we hung out apart from working with Al (or occasionally with each other.) We never lived extremely close to each other, so just meeting for lunch means some travel and pre-planning. Ruben is probably the closest to me at almost 20 miles, and I see him every few months for a jam we do together.

But on the road, we're definitely a family - the crew as well - and our personal families are part of that bigger family. So I guess Nina is treated like a favorite niece by most of us (she's almost like a daughter to Al!)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Do you ever go to each other's non-Al gigs just to watch?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Sometimes, a little. My wife and I enjoy seeing Jim do slack key, and Ruben comes to a gig of mine every 5 years or so.

Bermuda