Strings Attached Tour 2019

2019 - Plus a full orchestra!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

offbeatbryce
Occasional

Re: Strings Attached Tour 2019

Post by offbeatbryce »

Last year someone had a google sheet of every song performed for the tour. Does anyone have this for this year's tour? I tried going on setlist.fm but some of the shows don't list anything. Perhaps it's the same and it doesn't change this time?
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I have only seen the setlist for a few days, but so far all that's changed (I believe) Up until at least a couple shows are: He alternates between One More Minute and You Don't Love Me Anymore, and the first couple shows Word Crimes was towards the beginning, and now it's later in the set. Other than that it's been the same, as far as I know.
offbeatbryce
Occasional

Post by offbeatbryce »

RunningWithScissors wrote:I have only seen the setlist for a few days, but so far all that's changed (I believe) Up until at least a couple shows are: He alternates between One More Minute and You Don't Love Me Anymore, and the first couple shows Word Crimes was towards the beginning, and now it's later in the set. Other than that it's been the same, as far as I know.
Thanks
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

A couple notes from the 6/27 Richmond show (from watching footage)
  • -The mix of the background singers sounds a lot better than the previous dates
    -The orchestra seems to be mixed a bit lower (this might just be an effect of the large outdoor venue)
    -"Don't Download This Song" now has a lot of backing tracks, specifically a full choir for the chorus
    -"Weasel Stomping Day" now has a lot of backing tracks from the original recording. You can barely hear any of the guys singing over the original track
It's a shame that they feel the need for more backing tracks. I thought both of the two aforementioned songs had really found their groove over the past few weeks
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Enjoyed the Nashville show! Glad I kept my expectations low.

The orchestra didn't play any opening pieces (besides a quick intro [Beethoven's 5th, I think] to Fun Zone).

I could be picky and opinionated about a lot of little things, but ultimately I enjoyed the show. I think it's awesome that they've had two very different tours. I applaud them for stepping outside the comfort zone. This was fun, but the Vanity Tour was just too good to be true. I still hardly believe it happened and it will be nearly impossible to top that tour (for me).

I agree that it would have been nice to have less backing tracks, but most people probably didn't notice.

Al did a great job of hiding the high notes that he might have struggled with. Very tastefully done. It didn't bother me.

Seems like a lot of people have never heard Twine Ball. It got a lot of laughs.

The only thing that seemed missing to me was a polka.

With all the backlash about dropping the MJ parodies, I wasn't expecting to hear Eat It during the costume change video.

My favorite thing about his tour is that Lisa Popeil is on stage.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Also made it to the Atlanta show. Was interesting to compare two shows, especially from an audio engineer standpoint. So many variables in the mix - the two shows sounded very different. Actually, the mix often changes throughout the show, and even within one song (the background vocals would be quiet, then loud, etc.) There is a lot of aggressive, interactive dynamic compression going on. Certain instruments/tracks take precedent and push others back in the mix. Each show had different issues, but none were terrible. The worst was probably in Atlanta when there was feedback a few times.

So many phone lights came out during DDTS (as seen in Al's Instagram post)! He walked by me during Tacky and looked/pointed right in my face - that was a good feeling.

The orchestra played 3 or 4 pieces before the show (unlike Nashville). I had a better view of the percussion this show. I was surprised to see some of what they were playing - pretty complex mallet keyboard, etc... Unfortunately, most of it isn't heard. Kinda wish there would be a good recording that features the symphony arrangements. There are a lot of counter melodies going on, etc. that never existed before.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

*Random thought - Seeing Al in a few days and I think we're getting it - *

Is Al going into the audience for OMM?? :o I'm kinda guessing no for some reason, but just wondering. XD

Also, If I tried to bring in a plastic fork to hold up on that line (I'm in the front row) would security have a problem with that?
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

He did go out to the front row during OMM.
Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Post by Patrick »

For those that have been to a stop on the tour so far, has there been any more unique stuff at the merch table? I know on the last tour they seemed to have dug a bunch of stuff up from the vault (old merch or other oddities) and was just curious if the same has held true for this tour
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Last show there were wicked hoodies still, got one, I like it as much as the ones on the Mandatory Tour. Lunchboxes, stickers, pins, coffee mug, tote bags. And probably more stuff I missed, I was toasted. Not from the sun. Did get some stickers, for the ALTV one.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!