Least favorite Al song

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

Or resemble a certain 80 year old southern gentleman in a white suit?

Or -- even worse -- a chihuahua?? :nervous:

Dr. Dad
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Least favorite song

Post by Phillipemoz »

Back to least favorite songs . . . I noticed there was a 'worst song' thread I had missed, and it's on the top 10 most viewed topics-but the last post was many months ago, so I guess it's okay I made this new topic- and there is a difference between least favorite and worst.

It's interesting how some people's least favorite songs are among my favorites, like 'When I was your age'. I also like young, dumb and ugly + stuck in a closet with vanna white.

some songs that seem overrated in my opinion, or are good songs I just don't like much, are Like a Surgeon (I know it was one of his biggest hits, but I just can't stand the beat and Al's high pitched voice), Ricky, and Addicted to Spuds. I believe these were all on his first greatest hits CD, and that Yoda and X-mas at ground zero (yes, I like that song) should have replaced two of those. But he did put them on GHII, so that's allright.

As for other songs I don't like- alot of the songs off his first two albums weren't great, but then again he was just getting started and refining his craft. Some people think weird al 'used to be better', but I believe he keeps on getting better with time.

Surprisingly, I didn't really like Running with Scissors that much the first time I heard it. Maybe because it seemed like a new direction for Al, and I was still getting used to his new look without glasses and moustache. (I think he looks pretty cool in a goutee). My baby's in love with eddie vedder I didn't like at first- I mean eddie is kind of old news now- but it grew on me, as did the rest of the songs on the album, and now I think it's one of his best.

Off the deep end is still one of my favorite albums, because it has so many of my favorite songs. but as I said I don't like airline amy, and The white stuff I liked at first and then got tired of. Taco grande I thought was great when I first heard it, then I got kind of tired of it.

Polka Party has alot of lame songs, but it's still a good album, just the only one I don't own yet. (I have all the songs on a tape copy from the library, but I do plan on buying it eventually)

what else was I going to say. . . oh yea: I actually like 'Girls just wanna have lunch.' I know weird al doesn't like it because he was forced to do it, but he still wrote and performed it, and I think it is hilarious. But after listening again I can kind of hear some resentment in Al's voice when he was singing it- it's like he's intentionly trying to make it sound bad. I thought he was just mocking Cindy Lauper, but maybe he was just trying to get back at the people who made him do it by singing bad. But that just makes it more funny to me.

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with 'Achy Breaky Song.' I hate the original almost as much al says he does in the song, so I like the fact that he's making fun of it, but I hate the song itself. But if I was at some country ho-down and they played 'Achy breaky heart', I would demand they play weird al's parody, and it would become my favorite song- at least for the moment.

However, I don't like Nirvana and smells like teen spirit very much, but Smells like Nirvana is one of my favorite songs. Partly because it is such good satire, and also he turns a somewhat depressing song into a happy one.

That could be another topic- are there songs where you don't like the original but like the parody, or don't like the parody because you don't like the original or like both or like the original song more than the parody. :oha:
Grom
Off The Deep End

Re: Least favorite song

Post by Grom »

But after listening again I can kind of hear some resentment in Al's voice when he was singing it

I noticed he sounds 'angry' in a few of his older songs as well, like Eat It, Girls Just Want to Have Lunch and I Love Rocky Road (even though Joan Jett sounded rather unhappy in the original).
KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

I thought he was just mocking the original artists....even though I've never heard hardly any of the original songs. Maybe he REALLY wanted to be an architect!
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

I don't really care for gotta boogie. I like the beat, but I'm not really into booger related songs

Cid
KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

I didn't either, then I got a mental picture of the whole song...people going "BOOOGIEEE!"...that part sounds like they're all running around in a circle all happy about a booger.

Then Al going up to people "YOU WANNA BOOGIE?!" think about it...what if someone did that to you? I think the song is hilarious XD but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
Cameron Stitch
Occasional

Post by Cameron Stitch »

Least fav? Twister. Yuck. Al, never do anything like that again. EVER.
HappyBirthday1983
Occasional

songs i dont like

Post by HappyBirthday1983 »

BUY ME A CONDO...i cant stand that song

yoda...but its an excellent parody

airline amy

taco grande...not funny...but impressive spanish

stuck in a closet...gets a bit old...but still funny

gotta boogie

buckingham blues

the checks in the mail...stupid...sounds bad...annoying

im so sick of you...but some funny lyrics

i think "i remember larry" is grossly underrated by the way.
KagayakiWashi
Occasional

Post by KagayakiWashi »

Yes, "I Remember Larry" has to be one of his best original songs. Especially if you imagine a little punk running around doing all those things to Al.

The song's great, and the backwards message is even better.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I didn't even have to think about this one: "I Was Only Kidding".

I, too, didn't care for "Germs" at first but it eventually grew on me. IWOK

has NEVER done it for me, though. Perhaps the only song Al ever recorded that has almost no redeeming value for me. (Sorry, Al)

Meadows